Wymondley Priory, barn, moat, associated earthworks, enclosures, platforms, hollow-way and conduit head
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013338.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 08:28:17.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 21864 28049, TL 22223 28275
Reasons for Designation
Wymondley Priory is a well-preserved example of an Augustinian monastic establishment which, significantly, is associated with an extensive and well-preserved tenant settlement. Of particular importance is the good survival of structures within the priory precinct as well as related earthworks in the outlying areas. The clear spatial relationship between the priory and the outlying earthworks, and the diversity of structural components present, offers particularly valuable insights into the religious and economic lifestyles of monastic communities during the Medieval period.
The monument includes the site of a Medieval Augustinian priory, a
moat, associated earthworks and enclosures, a hollow-way, a later
Medieval Barn and conduit well-head. The moated precinct is a
characteristic feature of monastic establishments and served to
separate the ecclesiastical from secular components of monastery
property. The priory and barn are located within the moated enclosure
with the surrounding moat ditch visible in all but the SW quadrant
where it is partially built over. Part of the nave of the original
priory chapel has been incorporated in the fabric of a later manor
house, which is a Grade I listed building. The garden and garden
walls around the present manor are considered to be located on the
foundations of the priory buildings and the walls include quantities
of carved Medieval stonework. The remains of the monk's cemetery
enclosure is also believed to be in this area. Outside the moated
area to the south and north are a series of low earthworks marking
outlying components associated with the Priory. A group of small
field systems occurs to the south, while the northern area consists
of house platforms and enclosures delimited on the western edge by
ponds and a hollow-way to the east. Located some 500 m to the NE are
the remains of a Medieval conduit well-head covered by 16th-17th
century standing building. The manor, above ground remains of the
priory and most of the farm buildings, except the late Medieval
aisled barn (a Grade II* listed building and formerly SAM 61/b) and
the conduit well-head, are excluded from the scheduling. However, all
subsurface remains, including the ground below buildings, are
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Medieval Religious Houses, (1953), 160,321
The Victoria History of the County of Hertfordshire, (1912), 109
Midmer, R, English Medieval Monasteries 1066-1540, (1979), 339
'Journal Soc. Architectural Historians' in Journal Soc. Architectural Historians, , Vol. 1, (), 22
Hert SMR no. 3558 3673-4,
RCHM Survey (1911), (1911)
RCHM typescript, Farris, Wymondley Priory,
RCHM, RCHM 1910,
Site Report 1986, 1986, Unpub HCC site report
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing