This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Radcliffe moated site, Langthwaite, Adwick le Street

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Radcliffe moated site, Langthwaite, Adwick le Street

List entry Number: 1013653

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Doncaster

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Feb-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Radcliffe Moat, with its substantial surviving earthworks and largely undisturbed island, is a good example of this type of monument. Organic and palaeoenvironmental remains will be well preserved in its waterlogged moat. The monument is also part of a group including nearby Castle Hills motte and bailey castle, which it superseded, and the deserted village of Langthwaite.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument consists of a trapezoidal island, measuring 65m on the east side, c.55m on the north (under railway embankments), 50m on the south side and an estimated 45m on the west. It is surrounded by a water-filled moat linked to Langthwaite Dike on the south side. The island has a distinct inner bank along the south, west and east sides which presumably also ran along the north side and is now buried. The surface of the island is irregular but there are no obvious building platforms. In 1828 however, Hunter makes reference to a house that was demolished in the late 17th century by the then owner, Sir William Adams. Prior to that, the manor had been in the hands of Hugh de Langthwaite and later, the Woodruffes of Woolley. It was sold by Francis Woodruffe in the reign of Elizabeth I. The monument was the successor to Castle Hills motte and bailey castle which lies c.350m to the WSW. Both sites commanded the manor of Langthwaite (later Hangthwaite) and faint earthworks in the field separating the two monuments indicate the site of the deserted village. Langthwaite deserted village does not form part of the scheduling. The railway line, embankment and wire fencing are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground underneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Addy, S O, Some Defensive Earthworks In The Neighbourhood Of Sheffield, (1914)
Hunter, J, South Yorkshire , (1831)
Le Patourel, H E J, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973)
Magilton, J, The Doncaster District, (1977)

National Grid Reference: SE 55493 06847

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 12:21:20.

End of official listing