This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and two fishponds at Black Notley churchyard, 20m east of St Peter's and St Paul's Church

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and two fishponds at Black Notley churchyard, 20m east of St Peter's and St Paul's Church

List entry Number: 1013763

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Black Notley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 22-Jan-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20769

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Black Notley is especially well preserved as it is situated under pasture and has never been ploughed or excavated. It will contain archaeological deposits related to its construction and use. The small size of the moated site here is unusual in Essex. Of particular significance is the close proximity of the site to other related medieval structures such as the church and the Hall (with its contemporary barn), which allow a study to be made of the development of the site in its local context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site and two fishponds situated on gently sloping ground 20m east of St Peter and St Paul's Church. The moated site and fishponds are all orientated north west-south east, the moated site in the centre, with one fishpond to the north west and the other to the south east, both connected to the moated site by leats. The moat, fishponds and leats are dry and survive as earthworks. The moated site forms an irregular rectangle in plan tapering slightly to the north west. It has overall dimensions of 43m north west-south east by a maximum of 41m north east-south west. The moat has an average width of 13m and a maximum depth of 1.5m depth. The north western fishpond is connected to the moat by a leat 5m long and has maximum dimensions of 25m north west- south east by 20m south west-north east. The south western fishpond is connected to the moated site by a leat 30m long by 5m wide which has been cut by a later trackway. This fishpond, again on the same orientation, measures 22m north west-south east by 16m south west-north east. Both leats' junctions with the moat arms are slightly narrowed; a pattern of silting which suggests that originally wooden sluices would have controlled water at these points. There is no evidence that the moat island was ever occupied and it was probably created as part of the fish husbandry on the site. The site was probably part of the estate of the adjacent Black Notley Hall which lies 100m to the south west. It retains a 15th century barn (Listed Grade II), of similar date to the fishponds (though not included in the scheduling). Also contemporary with the site and situated 20m west of it is the Church of St Peter and St Paul, which is not included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, , The Monuments of Central and South East Essex, (1921), 18-21
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, , The Monuments of Central and South East Essex, (1921), 18-21
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, , The Monuments of Central and South East Essex, (1921), 18-21
Other
Title: Information from OS Card Source Date: 1975 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: TL 72 SE 27
Title: Information from OS Card Source Date: 1975 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: TL 72 SE 27
Title: Information from OS Card Source Date: 1975 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: TL 72 SE 27
TL 72 SE 27, Royal Commision for Historic Monuments, Information from NAR, (1950)
TL 72 SE 27, Royal Commision for Historic Monuments, Information from NAR, (1950)
TL 72 SE 27, Royal Commision for Historic Monuments, Information from NAR, (1950)

National Grid Reference: TL 76217 20712

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 12:56:29.

End of official listing