This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bowl barrow 1070m NNW of Baltic Farm forming part of a barrow cemetery on North Down

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bowl barrow 1070m NNW of Baltic Farm forming part of a barrow cemetery on North Down

List entry Number: 1013772

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishops Cannings

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 10-Nov-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A small number of areas in southern England appear to have acted as foci for ceremonial and ritual activity during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age periods. Two of the best known and earliest recognised, with references in the 17th century, are around Avebury and Stonehenge, now jointly designated as a World Heritage Site. In the Avebury area, the henge monument itself, the West Kennet Avenue, the Sanctuary, West Kennet long barrow, Windmill Hill causewayed enclosure and the enigmatic Silbury Hill are well-known. Whilst the other Neolithic long barrows, the many Bronze Age round barrows and other associated sites are less well-known, together they define one of the richest and most varied areas of Neolithic and Bronze Age ceremonial and ritual monuments in the country. Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including several different types of round barrow and occasionally associated with earlier long barrows. Where investigation beyond the round barrows has occurred, contemporary or later `flat' burials between the barrow mounds have often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland England with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases they are clustered around other important contemporary monuments, as is the case both here and at Stonehenge. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, while their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. All examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite having been slightly reduced by cultivation, this bowl barrow survives as an upstanding monument and is known from being partly excavated to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the cemetery and the landscape in which it was built.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow, situated on a west facing slope in an area of chalk downland, and forming an outlier at the western end of a barrow cemetery. The cemetery, which is aligned east-west, contains a total of 18 individual barrows. This is one of a number of cemeteries located on the Downs. The barrow has a mound which has been reduced by cultivation but survives as a visible earthwork 10m in diameter and 0.5m high. It is known from earlier records to have originally stood at least 0.75m high. Surrounding the mound is a 2m wide quarry ditch from which material was obtained during its construction. This survives as a buried feature visible on aerial photographs. The barrow was partly excavated in 1876. An inverted urn placed over burnt bone fragments and a shale ring were found. The urn broke into small pieces on discovery while the ring is now in the Devizes Museum.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1957), 157
Other
C/CPE/UK 1821 5072, R.A.F. (R.C.H.M.(E) NMRC SWINDON), R.A.F.,
D0467/11/108, Devizes Museum, Shale Ring, (1876)
SU06NW 646, C.A.O., BOWL BARROW, (1992)
Title: 1:10560 Map (SMR overlay) Source Date: 1980 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SU 06 NW

National Grid Reference: SU 03895 67570

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013772 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 06:51:08.

End of official listing