Bowl barrow on Huggate Wold, 460m WNW of western corner of Horsedale Plantation

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013858

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1929

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Mar-1996

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bowl barrow on Huggate Wold, 460m WNW of western corner of Horsedale Plantation
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 15:31:43.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Huggate

National Grid Reference: SE 87099 57318

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The monument is one of a closely associated group of barrows on Huggate Wold. The location of the barrows alongside an ancient greenway, and close to the very extensive systems of dykes and hollow ways dating back to the Bronze Age, offers important insights into ancient land use and territorial divisions for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. Despite part excavation by J R Mortimer in 1882 and the effects of ploughing over many years, the barrow still survives as a visible feature in the landscape, and will contain further burials and archaeological information relating to its construction.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a Bronze Age bowl barrow on Huggate Wold, situated approximately 1.5km due south of Fridaythorpe Village, 460m WNW of the western corner of Horsedale Plantation, in fields between Holm Dale to the north east, and Horse Dale to the south. The barrow is one of a group of several bowl barrows surviving in close proximity in this area, which together form part of a much larger group of bowl barrows dispersed across Huggate Wold and Huggate Pasture. Although altered over the years by agricultural activity which has considerably reduced the height of the mound and spread its surface, the barrow is still visible as a low rise in the ground, up to 0.2m high and c.20m in diameter. It is surrounded by a ditch c.3m wide which, although infilled by ploughing and no longer visible at ground level, will survive as a buried feature. The monument was originally part of a larger cemetery of 20 barrows existing adjacent to an ancient trackway, which itself is related to the ancient greenway in the Wolds of East Yorkshire, now known as the Wolds Way. The barrow lies around 600m to the north of the linear bank system of Horse Dale, and should be viewed in the context of the wider ancient landscape, where extensive systems of banks, dykes and hollow ways link large tracts of the countryside in this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. The barrow was partly excavated by J R Mortimer in March 1882, when it was observed to have been much reduced in height by the effects of ploughing, standing to a height of 0.45m, and with a diameter of 15m. Regular ploughing since then has further reduced and spread the mound. A deposit of burnt human bones and wood ashes was found contained within a hole 0.9m in diameter and 0.38m deep, cut into the chalk of the original land surface, 1.22m to the north of the mound centre. It was deduced that the burnt bones were interred whilst still hot, owing to the reddened appearance of the walls of the burial cut, which had then been covered with a brown, loamy clay before raising the remainder of the mound over this.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 26546

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905)

End of official listing