This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bell barrows at Lodge Hill, 400m NNE of Old Callow Down Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bell barrows at Lodge Hill, 400m NNE of Old Callow Down Farm

List entry Number: 1013927

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Dec-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27123

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows (particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a particularly rare form of round barrow, all identified bell barrows would normally be considered to be of national importance.

Despite being reduced by cultivation, the two bell barrows at Lodge Hill will retain significant archaeological information as indicated by the minor excavations in the 1930s, which are all the more valuable given the rarity of this class of monument. Funerary remains surviving in buried features within the area of the mounds will illustrate the function of the monuments and the beliefs of the community which built them. Further remains, both funerary and otherwise, may also be found in the fill of the surrounding ditches and in the area of the berms. This will include environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which the barrows were set.

The bell barrows' association with the dispersed group of round barrows aligned across the valley is highly significant for the study of prehistoric settlement in the Chiltern Hills, demonstrating both the variety of Bronze Age burial practices in the area and indicating the route of a contemporary trackway.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried remains of two Bronze Age bell barrows situated on the northern slope of Lodge Hill, a prominent knoll which rises from the low ground to the north of Bledlow Ridge, overlooking the Aylesbury Vale and the route of the Upper Icknield Way.

The two barrows are separated by a distance of c.25m, and are similar in size. The mounds have been reduced by ploughing since the 19th century, yet still survive to a height of approximately 0.5m, having maximum diameters of c.22m. These are surrounded by level areas, or berms, measuring some 5m in width. The berms are in turn encircled by buried ditches, c.2m in width, from which the material for the mounds was quarried. The ditches and berms are visible as cropmarks and have been recorded by aerial photography.

The northern barrow was partially excavated in 1933 revealing fragments of Bronze Age pottery, flint implements, antler, patches of charcoal and pieces of human bone. Traces of an excavation undertaken in 1855 were also discovered, although no records of this earlier work remain. A human scapula (shoulder bone) was also retrieved from the southern barrow, where it had been unearthed by burrowing animals. A subsequent minor excavation of this mound resulted in the recovery of small fragments of human skull.

The two bell barrows form part of a dispersed group of similar monuments which extends across the valley on a north west-south east alignment between Wain Hill (c.1.5km to the north west) and Saunderton Station (4km to the south east), the nearest example lying some 500m to the south west near the summit of Lodge Hill. The alignment is thought to reflect the route of a prehistoric trackway.

The surface of the farm track which crosses the western edge of the northern barrow is excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath this feature is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dyer, J F, 'Archaeological Journal' in Barrows of the Chilterns, (1959), 23
Dyer, J F, 'Archaeological Journal' in Barrows of the Chilterns, (1959), 23
Other
AP plot filed in Bucks SMR, Allen, D, 007/008, (1979)
AP plot filed with Bucks SMR, Allen, D, 0007/0008, (1979)
Details of adjacent Neo/BA/IA site, 0648,
Details of Lodge Hill bowl barrow, 0652,
Details of Neo/BA/IA settlement, 0648,
Details of the Lodge Hill bowl barrow, 0652,
Excavators' notes filed with SMR, Colmer, F and Head, J, 0007/0008, (1934)
Excavators' notes held by Bucks SMR, Colmer, F & Head, J, 0008, (1934)
Letter from J Head to M E Farley, Head, J, Two Round Barrows - Saunderton Lee, (1973)
Letter from J Head to M E Farley, Head, J, Two Round Barrows - Saunderton Lee, (1973)
Matthews, C L and Wainwright, A, National Trust Archaeological Survey - Bradenham, (1990)
Oblique held by Bucks Museum Service, Allen, G W G, 1040, (1937)
Oblique held by Bucks Museum Service, Allen, G W G, 1040, (1937)
Oblique held by Bucks Museum Service, Whiteman Thame, P D, SP 78 00, (1973)
Oblique held by Bucks Museums Service, Whiteman Thame, P D, SP 78 00, (1973)

National Grid Reference: SP 78874 00398

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013927 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 12:06:08.

End of official listing