Medieval moated site, The Moat

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013948

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1990

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1995

Map

Ordnance survey map of Medieval moated site, The Moat
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 13:44:33.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Great Chart with Singleton

National Grid Reference: TQ 97438 41394

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The Moat at Great Chart is of particular importance both because the moat remains largely intact and is wet throughout the year, providing favourable conditions for the survival of normally perishable forms of evidence, and because the island is undisturbed apart from the house so that the potential for the recovery of evidence of the organisation and development of the buildings on the site is high.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument at The Moat comprises a well preserved nearly-square moat averaging 7m-8m in width enclosing a largely undisturbed island. Moated sites are generally seen as prestigious residences of the Lords of the Manor. The moat not only marked the high status of the occupier but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moated sites were constructed between 1250 and 1350, and it is from this period that the moat at Great Chart is likely to date. No evidence of the buildings which are presumed to have stood on the island is visible on the ground, nor is the original position of the causeway known, but an expansion of the moat where the feeder stream outfalls may show the position of a former fishpond. The building which now stands on the moat island is 17th century or earlier, partly timber-framed and Listed Grade II. It is later than the moat and its original manor house however, and is excluded from the scheduling along with all other standing structures within the area of the scheduling, although the ground beneath each is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 12724

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Listed Buildings Vol 1155 24/22,

End of official listing