This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Wayside cross in Egloshayle churchyard, 0.16m west of the church porch

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Wayside cross in Egloshayle churchyard, 0.16m west of the church porch

List entry Number: 1014217

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wadebridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jan-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 28457

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes having a more specifically religious function, including those providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions, or marking long-distance routes frequented on pilgrimages. Over 350 wayside crosses are known nationally, concentrated in south west England throughout Cornwall and on Dartmoor where they form the commonest type of stone cross. A small group also occurs on the North York Moors. Relatively few examples have been recorded elsewhere and these are generally confined to remote moorland locations. Outside Cornwall almost all wayside crosses take the form of a `Latin' cross, in which the cross-head itself is shaped within the projecting arms of an unenclosed cross. In Cornwall wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross or related designs were carved in relief or incised, the spaces between the cross arms possibly pierced. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ and the shaft might bear decorative panels and motifs. Less common forms in Cornwall include the `Latin' cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low relief cross on both faces. Rare examples of wheel-head and slab-form crosses also occur within the North York Moors group. Most wayside crosses have either a simple socketed base or show no evidence for a separate base at all. Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval religious customs and sculptural traditions and to our knowledge of medieval routeways and settlement patterns. All wayside crosses which survive as earth- fast monuments, except those which are extremely damaged and removed from their original locations, are considered worthy of protection.

This wayside cross in Egloshayle churchyard has survived well, and is a good example of a wheel-headed cross. The decoration on the south face is unusual. Its removal to the north side of the churchyard and its later re-erection by the porch in the early 20th century demonstrates well the changing attitudes to religion and their impact on the local landscape since the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval wayside cross situated in Egloshayle churchyard in the River Camel valley in north Cornwall. The wayside cross survives as an upright granite shaft with a round, `wheel' head, standing to a height of 0.94m. The head measures 0.42m high by 0.37m wide and is 0.19m thick. The principal faces are orientated north-south. Both principal faces have a recessed bead around the outer edge of the head, this bead continues down the shaft. The south face is decorated, the north face is plain. The south face bears a Latin cross, the side limbs having slightly splayed ends to the limbs and the lower limb having a `bead' to either side of it. This motif is unclear. The antiquarian Maclean in the 1870s suggested that it was a fleur de lys but the historian Langdon in 1896 illustrated it as a Latin cross with a broad vertical limb. There is a shallow slot in the top of the head, 0.03m wide by 0.05m long and 0.04m deep. The rectangular section shaft measures 0.52m high, by 0.29m wide at the base tapering slightly to 0.26m at the top and is 0.22m thick. The wayside cross is located in the churchyard at Egloshayle, immediately to the west of the church porch. There is no record of its original location and it was moved from the north side of the churchyard to its present position in the early 20th century. The memorial plaques to the north and west of the cross, the concrete gutter to the east and the gravel surface of the footpath passing to the south, where they lie within the protective margin of the cross are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Langdon, A G, Old Cornish Crosses, (1896)
Langdon, A G, Stone Crosses of North Cornwall, (1992)
Other
Title: 1:25000 Ordnance Survey Map; SX 07/17; Pathfinder Series 1338 Source Date: 1988 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SX 00074 71902

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 11:40:51.

End of official listing