Wayside cross in Tregaminion chapel yard, 3m north west of the chapel


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1014226

Date first listed: 05-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jan-1996


Ordnance survey map of Wayside cross in Tregaminion chapel yard, 3m north west of the chapel
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:04:12.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Fowey

National Grid Reference: SX 09657 51913


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes having a more specifically religious function, including those providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions, or marking long-distance routes frequented on pilgrimages. Over 350 wayside crosses are known nationally, concentrated in south west England throughout Cornwall and on Dartmoor where they form the commonest type of stone cross. A small group also occurs on the North York Moors. Relatively few examples have been recorded elsewhere and these are generally confined to remote moorland locations. Outside Cornwall almost all wayside crosses take the form of a `Latin' cross, in which the cross-head itself is shaped within the projecting arms of an unenclosed cross. In Cornwall wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross or related designs were carved in relief or incised, the spaces between the cross arms possibly pierced. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ and the shaft might bear decorative panels and motifs. Less common forms in Cornwall include the `Latin' cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low relief cross on both faces. Rare examples of wheel-head and slab-form crosses also occur within the North York Moors group. Most wayside crosses have either a simple socketed base or show no evidence for a separate base at all. Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval religious customs and sculptural traditions and to our knowledge of medieval routeways and settlement patterns. All wayside crosses which survive as earth- fast monuments, except those which are extremely damaged and removed from their original locations, are considered worthy of protection.

This wayside cross in Tregaminion chapel yard has survived reasonably well, and is a good example of a wheel-headed cross despite the loss of part of its lower shaft. The use only of sinkings to form the cross motif is uncommon. Its removal from the roadside in the 19th century and subsequent re-erection in the chapel yard demonstrate well the changing attitudes to religion and changes in the local landscape since the medieval period.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes a medieval wayside cross situated in Tregaminion chapel yard on the south coast of central Cornwall. The wayside cross survives as an upright granite shaft with a round, `wheel' head set on a millstone base. The overall height of the monument is 0.75m. The granite head measures 0.31m high by 0.5m wide and is 0.19m thick. Each principal face bears four triangular sinkings defining an equal limbed cross with a bead around the outer edge of the head, linking the limbs. The rectangular section shaft measures 0.38m high by 0.3m wide at the base tapering slightly to 0.3m at the top, and is 0.18m thick at the base widening slightly to 0.2m at the top. The millstone used as a base for the cross, is completely covered by a layer of soil and vegetation. The cross is located in the chapel yard at Tregaminion close to the north west corner of the chapel. This chapel was built by William Rashleigh of Menabilly in 1815. Sometime during the 19th century the cross was `removed from the roadside' and re-erected on the millstone in its present position, where the historian Langdon illustrated it in 1896. It has been suggested that the cross was possibly moved from the road which runs past Tregaminion chapel, a minor road which links Menabilly and Gribben Head to the route between Fowey, an important medieval port on the south coast of Cornwall, and Tywardreath, a medieval settlement with a priory. The gravel surface of the footpath passing to the south and west of the cross, where it lies within its protective margin, is excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath is included. This cross is Listed Grade II.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 28441

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Langdon, A G, Old Cornish Crosses, (1896)
Langdon, A, Stone Crosses in Mid Cornwall, (1994)
Title: 1:25000 Ordnance Survey Map; SX 05/15; St Austell and Fowey Source Date: 1980 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

End of official listing