This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows 560m east of Emily's Wood

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 560m east of Emily's Wood

List entry Number: 1015263

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Weeting-with-Broomhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 26-Jun-1924

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The two barrows 560m east of Emily's Wood survive well, and although it is probable that they were the subject of an antiquarian investigation in the 19th century, the extent of the disturbance will be small in relation to the monument as a whole, which will retain archaeological information concerning the construction of the barrows, the manner and duration of their use, and the local environment at that time. Evidence for land use predating the construction of the barrows is also likely to be preserved in soils buried beneath the mounds. The association with Grimes Graves gives the barrows additional interest and in this context, together with other barrows preserved in this part of the Breckland region, they provide evidence for the study of the general character and development of prehistoric settlement in the area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes, within a single area, two bowl barrows which are located in a plantation on what was formerly heathland in the Breckland region, 2.4km to the north of the Little Ouse River and immediately to the west of the road between Lynford and Brandon. On the opposite side of the road are the prehistoric flint mines known as Grimes Graves.

The barrows are visible as two earthen mounds c.28m apart, both standing to a height of c.1m. The first mound, on the northern edge of the plantation, covers a circular area c.29m in diameter, and the second, to the south west of the first, an area c.28m in diameter. It is likely that both mounds are encircled by ditches c.3m wide, from which earth was quarried and used in their construction, and although these ditches are now completely infilled, they will survive as buried features. The barrows were probably among seven in the vicinity of Grimes Graves which were investigated in 1871 by Lord Rosehill, who found evidence of cremations in them.

A modern fence which crosses the north side of the north eastern barrow is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Norfolk Archaeology' in Norfolk Archaeology, , Vol. 7, (1872), 372
Other
5144: Breckland; Weeting with Broomhill,

National Grid Reference: TL 80350 90072

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2018 at 03:47:54.

End of official listing