This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Lyneham long barrow and standing stone, 480m north east of Hill Barn

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Lyneham long barrow and standing stone, 480m north east of Hill Barn

List entry Number: 1015413


The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lyneham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-May-1934

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jun-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 28144

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and, consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 examples of long barrows and long cairns, their counterparts in the uplands, are recorded nationally. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be nationally important.

Despite the barrow mound having been reduced by cultivation, Lyneham long barrow survives as a clearly visible earthwork. It is known from part excavation to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction and the landscape in which it was built.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes a Neolithic long barrow and a standing stone. The monument is situated c.300m south west of a hillfort known as the Roundabout, which is the subject of a separate scheduling. The barrow and stone are aligned south west-north east along a ridge which gives them a dominant position within the local landscape, overlooking valleys to the north west and south east. The long barrow mound measures 32m in length and stands up to 1.75m high at its 19m wide north east end. At its tail or south west end it tapers away to ground level and measures just 4m wide. In 1894 a part excavation located two chambers on the south east side of the mound and at least one of these contained bone fragments, pottery and charcoal. Also found were two Anglo-Saxon burials which had been cut into the top of the existing mound. Unusually, there was no evidence of flanking quarry ditches which are commonly found either side of long barrow mounds. Immediately north east, at a distance of 9m from the barrow mound, stands a single monolith which was broken in 1923 but reset in its original location in 1924. This stands 1.8m high and measures 1.8m wide and 0.6m thick. There is no surviving evidence of other standing stones in the area and it is probable that the mound originally extended a further 9m to the location of the stone where a facade of standing stones would have stood.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources


National Grid Reference: SP 29754 21078


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015413 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 10:53:55.

End of official listing