This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Queen Charlton village cross

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Queen Charlton village cross

List entry Number: 1015510

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bath and North East Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Compton Dando

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Dec-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 28830

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone, mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD). Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the scenes of games or recreational activity. Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the 13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base, buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their original location, are considered worthy of protection.

Although the shaft, head and plinth have been restored, the village cross at Queen Charlton survives well with a number of its original elements intact as an impressive monument of the medieval period. In the last century it was moved a short distance, reputedly returning it to its original position on the village green.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a restored cross situated on the village green at the centre of the village of Queen Charlton where four roads meet.

The cross has a five step square calvary, socket stone, plinth, shaft and simple Latin cross head. The first step of the calvary is 0.3m high, and the second, third, fourth and fifth steps are 0.4m, 0.3m, 0.35m and 0.27m high. The first step is 3.4m wide. The width of the second, third, fourth and fifth steps are 2.8m, 2.15m, 1.6m and 1.1m respectively. Above the fifth step of the calvary is the square base of the plinth which supports the socket stone. The plinth is 0.75m wide, c.0.5m high and composed of two courses of faced stone blocks. The socket stone sits flush on the plinth and has convex broaches at its angles forming an octagonal top. It is 0.75m wide and the total height of plinth and socket stone is 0.9m. The central socket is 0.35m square in which is cemented the 0.3m wide base of the octagonal shaft. The shaft is c.2m high, jointed in the middle, and tapers to a simple Latin cross head.

The calvary is constructed from stone blocks which appear to be of considerable age, as is the socket stone. The plinth, shaft and cross head are later additions. The cross previously stood at a crossroads c.300m to the south west, where it is still recorded on OS plans, and was moved some time after 1868 to its present position. It is reputed that its present position, on the village green, was its original position prior to the 19th century. While at the crossroads, it had a square stone cross head and a plinth composed of courses of brickwork. The cross now stands on a slight rise, c.0.1m high, which extends to 0.4m around the calvary base. This mound is included in the scheduling and will be associated with the cross either denoting ground disturbance during construction, or will be related to the reconstruction of the cross. The cross is considered to date to the 15th century and is Listed Grade II.

In the south west corner of the churchyard, c.50m to the south, reused at some time as a gatepost, is the socket and part of the shaft of a second cross.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877), 142

National Grid Reference: ST 63418 67057

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:11:02.

End of official listing