This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Stone hut circle and round cairn 800m east of Woodhead

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Stone hut circle and round cairn 800m east of Woodhead

List entry Number: 1015729

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Askerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 28-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27754

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone-lined compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch. Often occupying prominent locations, cairns are a major visual element in the modern landscape. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Stone hut circles were the dwelling places of prehistoric farmers, mostly dating from the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC) although later examples are known. The stone-based round houses survive as low walls or banks enclosing a circular floor area; remains of a turf or thatch roof are not preserved. The huts occur singly or in small or large groups and may occur in the open or be enclosed by a bank of earth and stone. Their longevity and their relationship with other monument types provides important information on the diversity of social organisation and farming practices among prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection. Despite limited excavation of the hut circle, the stone hut circle and round cairn 800m east of Woodhead survive well. They lie close to other prehistoric monuments on the fells around Bewcastle and thus indicate the importance of this area in prehistoric times and the diversity of monument classes to be found here.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a prehistoric stone hut circle and an adjacent round cairn located on the gently sloping hillside 800m east of Woodhead. The hut circle measures 12m north-south by 11m east-west externally, with a stone wall measuring up to a maximum of 1m high internally on the northern side where the hut's floor has been cut into the hillside to form a flat living surface. There is an entrance on the south west side of the hut. Approximately 10m to the south of the hut circle there is a round cairn which includes a slightly oval shaped mound of partly turf covered stones measuring 6m north-south by 5.5m east-west and up to 1m high. Limited excavation of the hut circle in 1939 found a hearthstone to the right of the entrance and two shallow holes cut into the floor of the hut. These are thought to have contained poles supporting a roof of skins. Other finds included a stone button, a stone ring, and a flint flake.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hodgson, K S, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser' in Some Excavations In The Bewcastle District, , Vol. XL, (1940), 162-6
Spence, J E, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser.' in Report of the Committee for Prehistoric Studies, 1939, , Vol. XXXVII, (1937), 98

National Grid Reference: NY 58504 74026

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 05:56:25.

End of official listing