This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Dollerline medieval dispersed settlement 250m north of Bush Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Dollerline medieval dispersed settlement 250m north of Bush Farm

List entry Number: 1015869

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Askerton

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bewcastle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 26-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27774

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Medieval rural settlement in England is marked by great diversity in form, size and type and the protection of archaeological remains needs to take these regional differences into account. To do this, England has been divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided into sub- Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have gradually evolved over the past 1500 years or more. This monument lies in the Cumbria-Solway sub-Province of the Northern and Western Province, an area characterised by dispersed hamlets and farmsteads but with some larger nucleated settlements in well-defined agriculturally favoured areas, established after the Norman conquest. Traces of seasonal settlements, or shielings, dominate the high, wet and windy uplands, where surrounding communities grazed their livestock during the summer months. The Borders local region comprises the great slope of land between the high Cheviots and the Solway, where hamlets and scattered farmsteads predominate, and where bastles and tower houses recall the social conditions of the Anglo- Scottish borders before the mid-17th century. The eastern part of the region, containing the wastes of Bewcastle Fells and Spadeadam, can be seen as a separate subdivision; it was occupied by shieling grounds during the Middle Ages and the Tudor period, and preserves the remains of associated settlement sites. Dollerline medieval dispersed settlement and its associated corn drying kiln survives well, remains unencumbered by modern development, and will retain significant archaeological deposits. It is a good example of this class of monument located in the Border Region and will add greatly to our understanding of the wider border settlement and economy during the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the earthworks and buried remains of Dollerline medieval dispersed settlement and an associated corn drying kiln. It is located on flat ground south of Kirk Beck, 250m north of Bush Farm, and includes the turf covered remains of two houses, a rectangular enclosure, a short length of wall or earth bank, and a corn drying kiln. The main house has its long axis aligned approximately east-west and measures 13.7m by 11m with walls 1.3m wide and up to 1m high. It overlies the north east corner of a rectangular enclosure measuring c.15m by 11m which is bounded by a low earth bank up to 0.1m high. A short length of wall or bank of the same height protrudes westwards from the western side of the enclosure. Immediately to the south of the main house are the remains of a second house or outbuilding of slighter construction measuring c.12m by 10m externally with walls 1m wide and up to 0.5m high. North of the main house, and constructed on the edge of the bluff above Kirk Beck, are the remains of a corn drying kiln associated with the settlement. It survives as a turf covered oval mound of stones measuring 6m by 4.5m and up to 0.5m high with a large central hollow and a splayed stoke hole on its northern side. Its presence indicates the existence of small scale arable cultivation in the area during the medieval period. The settlement is depicted on a map dated 1603 accompanying the Gilsland Survey. In 1832 it was described as ruinous. A post and wire fence on the monument's eastern side is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ramm, H G , Shielings and Bastles, (1970), 47-8
Ramm, H G , Shielings and Bastles, (1970), 47-8

National Grid Reference: NY 57321 74772

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 04:09:08.

End of official listing