This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Deserted medieval settlement at Upper Barpham Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Deserted medieval settlement at Upper Barpham Farm

List entry Number: 1015882

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Angmering

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 08-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jul-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29274

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Medieval rural settlement in England is marked by considerable regional diversity in form, size and type, and the protection of archaeological remains of such settlements needs to take that diversity into account. In order to do this, England has been divided into three broad provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive combination of nucleated and dispersed settlements. The provinces have been further divided into sub-provinces and small local regions. This monument lies within the East Wessex sub-province of the eastern province which is characterised by nucleated settlements, both surviving and deserted, in an area of chalk downland with smoothly contoured valleys and winter streamflow. The settlements typically appear in chains along the valleys where water supply was assured. It is also an area in which moated sites and settlements with greens are uncommon, the latter contrasting markedly with sub-provinces to the east and north east.

The deserted medieval settlement at Upper Barpham Farm represents the predominant, nucleated form of medieval rural settlement within the East Wessex sub-province. The settlement survives well in the form of earthworks and buried remains, and part excavation has shown that it contains archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to its c.900 year history.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a deserted medieval settlement situated on the south western slope of a chalk hill which forms part of the Sussex Downs. The settlement, known as Bargham during the medieval period, lies within a field known as Chapel Croft. It survives in the form of low earthworks, representing a trackway flanked on each side by the levelled terraces and boundaries of the tofts, or houses, outbuildings and associated yards, of the settlement.

The north eastern corner of the monument underwent archaeological investigation between 1952-56, revealing the buried foundations of the parish church. The excavation established that the small church was constructed during the Anglo-Saxon period, when brick removed from an earlier, Roman building was incorporated within its foundations. During the following centuries the church underwent at least six phases of substantial alteration or redevelopment, including a complete rebuild after a serious fire in c.1300. Burials found within the associated graveyard were dated to the 14th and 15th centuries.

Historical records suggest that the church was demolished during the mid-16th century, after the village had become depopulated following the Black Death of 1348-49 and the social and economic changes of the 15th century. Masonry from the church was reused in the construction of the buildings of Upper Barpham Farm, situated immediately to the south east of the monument.

A further settlement, 500m to the north east, believed to have been separate but broadly contemporary, is the subject of a separate scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barr-Hamilton, A, 'Sussex Archaeological Collections' in The Excavation of Barpham Church Site, Upper Barpham, Sussex, , Vol. 99, (1961), 38-65

National Grid Reference: TQ 06630 08965

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 05:12:25.

End of official listing