Bowl barrow 300m south east of Hyford Cottage
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1015894
Date first listed: 27-Feb-1957
Date of most recent amendment: 17-Apr-1997
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015894 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2019 at 05:22:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Purbeck (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SY 81978 87498
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite some disturbance by military activities, the bowl barrow 300m south east of Hyford Cottage survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on an knoll overlooking the Frome
Valley to the north. The barrow is one of a pair recorded in the area.
The barrow has a mound composed of earth, chalk and flint, with maximum
dimensions of 15m in diameter and c.1.1m in height. The upper part of the
mound has a hollow 3.5m wide and c.0.6m deep cut into it, along with a trench
1m wide which leads to the western base of the mound. These features are
likely to relate to military training activities.
The mound is surrounded by a ditch from which material was quarried during the
construction of the monument. The ditch is visible to the south as a
depression 3m wide and c.0.2m deep; elsewhere it has become infilled, but will
survive as a buried feature.
Excluded from the scheduling are all fence posts relating to the modern field
boundaries, although the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 28339
Legacy System: RSM
RCHME, National Monuments Record,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing