This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval moated site, Albury Farm, Merstham

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval moated site, Albury Farm, Merstham

List entry Number: 1015977

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Apr-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 02-May-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12750

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Albury Farm is of particular importance because it is relatively wells documented. Having been largely undisturbed by later building in the area the monument also survives well, and as a result the archaeological potential of the site is high for the recovery not only of evidence of the development of the buildings on the moat island but also of the environment in which the monument was sited.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument at Albury Farm includes the inner and outer banks and ditches of a medieval moated site together with the area enclosed by the ditches on which buildings are considered likely to have stood. Moated sites are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of the manor, the moat marking the high status of the occupier but also serving to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moated sites were constructed in the period either side of 1300 AD, and historical documents exist which confirm that the manor house of Albury existed in the 13th or 14th century, at which time it was in the hands of the de Passelle family. The earthworks form an inner, square moat within which would have stood the manor house itself, and three sides of an outer moat. The fourth side of the outer moat was formed by the stream, now ducted underground, which formerly flowed from north to south on the western side and which filled both the inner and outer moat with water. Earthen banks, some of impressive proportions, survive both around the edge of the moat island and on the outer edge of the outer moat, although they have been partially slighted at the south-east corner, perhaps at the same time as the house of Albury Manor was demolished around 1750. The tarmac path leading across the southern side of the scheduled area, the benches on the western side and the surrounding fencing are all excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath the path and benches remains included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cantor, L, A Gazeteer of Medieval Deerparks, (1983)
Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
Ketterington L, AM 12, (1980)
Surrey Antiquity 1052,

National Grid Reference: TQ 29376 52721

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 07:23:05.

End of official listing