This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated monastic grange site and fishponds in Paradise Wood, 630m north west of Carlam Hill Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated monastic grange site and fishponds in Paradise Wood, 630m north west of Carlam Hill Farm

List entry Number: 1016068

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wawne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 26620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument is recorded as being a former monastic grange of Meaux Abbey. Monastic granges were farms owned and run by a monastic community. They are a rare monument class; few examples have been confirmed to have surviving remains. The Paradise moated monastic grange survives in good condition and despite part excavation, will retain further evidence of its medieval occupation.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated monastic grange site in Paradise Wood, 1km east of Wawne and 630m north west of Carlam Hill Farm. The monument includes a central raised island, surrounded on all sides by a moat, and what are interpreted as two fishponds lying immediately to the east of the moated site. The island measures approximately 60m north-south by 45m east-west, and the moat is between 6m-8m wide and up to 1.5m deep in places. The first fishpond immediately to the east of the moat is sub-rectangular and measures about 10m long, 4m wide and about 1m deep. The second fishpond to the east of the first is approximately oval in shape and is about 10m north-south by 7m west-east, and is also approximately 1m deep. The monument formed a 12th century grange of Meaux Abbey and is reputed to have been one of the fishing retreats of the Abbots of Meaux. Meaux Abbey lies 2.5km to the North. Part excavation revealed a cobbled floor and medieval pottery dating to between c.1300 to c.1500. Modern post and wire fencing is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath the fencing is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Le Patourel, H.E J, 'Monograph Series No 5' in The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973), 117
Other
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Record Sheet, (1996)
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Records Sheets, (1996)

National Grid Reference: TA 10147 36841

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 09:22:00.

End of official listing