This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Civil War gun battery 50m south west of St Peters and St Paul's Church

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Civil War gun battery 50m south west of St Peters and St Paul's Church

List entry Number: 1016151

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shelford and Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Sep-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The battles and sieges of the English Civil War (1642-52) between King and Parliament were the last major active military campaigns to be undertaken on English soil and have left their mark on the English landscape in a variety of ways. Fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during the military campaigns to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced with revetting and palisades, consisted of banks and ditches and varied in complexity from simple breastworks to complex systems of banks and interconnecting trenches. They can be recognised today as surviving earthworks or as crop or soil marks on aerial photographs. They are recorded widely throughout England, with concentrations in the main areas of campaigning, and have been recognised to be unique in representing the only evidence on the ground of military campaigns fought in England since the introduction of guns. Newark was a key garrison held by the Royalists from the outbreak of the Civil War in 1642 until it surrendered on the orders of the King in 1646. The town was surrounded by a series of offensive and defensive fieldworks, many of which survive to the present day. They are the most impressive surviving collection of such works in England; not only do extensive remains survive, but the whole system is recorded on two nearly contemporary plans, one by a Royalist engineer, the other by a Parliamentarian. They thus provide a unique opportunity for the study of the field engineering of the Civil War. All surviving examples of the Newark siegeworks are identified to be nationally important.

The remains of the gun battery 50m south west of St Peter and St Paul's Church survive particularly well as a series of substantial earthworks and will retain significant archaeological potential in the form of buried deposits. As a result of both the survival of historical documentation and subsequent archaeological finds, the battery will contribute particularly to understanding the sieges of Newark and the role of the several outpost garrisons surrounding the town.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a Civil War gun battery, located 50m south west of St Peter and St Paul's Church, Shelford, and consists of earthworks defining a horseshoe-shaped bank up to 0.6m in height and 5m in width. The bank encloses an area approximately 8m by 10m and faces westwards down Stoke Ferry Lane. Contemporary documentary sources record the existence of a Royalist garrison at Shelford manor between early 1642 and November 1645 when it was stormed by Parliamentarian forces. During the attack on Shelford village itself a contemporary document records that the Parliamentarians were fired upon by snipers hidden in the church tower. A chance find of a human burial in the adjacent vicarage garden with apparent sword cuts to the head has been interpreted as belonging to this assault. The location of the monument on a rise overlooking a tactically important crossing over the Trent, in addition to the documentary and archaeological evidence for Civil War activity in the vicinity, is interpreted as suggesting that the monument was a Royalist defensive work designed to protect the western approaches to Shelford.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 5 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Memoirs of Colonel Hutchinson, (1906)
RCHME, , Newark on Trent - The Civil War Siegeworks, (1964)
Other
Baddeley, V., Nottinghamshire Sites and Monuments Record: PRN 05463, (1987)

National Grid Reference: SK 66131 42339

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 02:05:30.

End of official listing