This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Napoleonic practice redoubt and later practice trenches on Wagbullock Hill

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Napoleonic practice redoubt and later practice trenches on Wagbullock Hill

List entry Number: 1016333

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bracknell Forest

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Crowthorne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Oct-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 28180

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Easthamstead Plain, the heathland plateau between Bracknell and Crowthorne, in 1792 was the scene of large scale military manoeuvres which have left an unusual combination of physical traces, and which appear to be unique in England. The exercises were designed to allow the Army to test its new Handbook of Military Manoeuvres, whilst sending signals of strength to continental Europe in the aftermath of the French Revolution. They boosted morale in an Army still shocked by its defeat at the hands of revolutionaries in the American War of Independence, and demonstrated the Crown's ability to maintain order in the event of any Republican unrest in Britain. The manoeuvres lasted from 23 July to 8 August 1792. They adopted the strategy of building infantry or artillery redoubts as part of defensive lines behind which infantry squares and cavalry could be deployed. In essence, this was the strategy later used successfully by Wellington, notably at Waterloo. At Easthamstead Plain, the Army practised attacking a defensive line including eight specially constructed earthwork redoubts. The surviving redoubts are the only documented examples in England of a full battlefield defensive system of the Napoleonic period, equivalent in significance to the slightly later Royal Military Canal in Kent which was built to oppose the anticipated French invasion. They are therefore all considered to be of national importance and worthy of protection.

The redoubt on Wagbullock Hill survives in the form of earthworks and buried deposits. The later trenches, which are believed to date to the period of the Boer War, provide evidence of a further phase of military training activity.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes one of a series of practice redoubts, constructed in 1792, in a 2km long line running north west-east along the edge of a plateau formerly known as Easthamstead Plain. The redoubt lies on the summit of Wagbullock Hill and is connected with a series of later trenches which originally enclosed the whole hill top. The redoubt includes an earthen bank and ditch forming a military fieldwork measuring 46m across and roughly square in plan. It is enclosed by an open ditch measuring up to 2m wide and roughly 1m deep, although now partly infilled with leaf litter. Immediately inside the ditch stands a low earthen bank 1m high externally and 0.5m high internally. The trenches are a later feature, probably associated with troop training during the Boer War and consist of a single line of hand dug trenches with the earth thrown up to form a slight rampart on the outside (down slope). They are now partly infilled but measure between 0.75m and 1.5m wide, and were originally up to 1m deep. The ramparts are no longer visible along the entire circuit, but where they survive these measure about 0.6m high and 0.7m wide. The site also shows evidence of more recent fox holes as well as the reuse of some of the features during training associated with World Wars I and II.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 85664 65263

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 02:20:10.

End of official listing