Moated site immediately north west of Little Pednor Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016702 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 02:59:02.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Chiltern (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 92511 02826
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site immediately north west of Little Pednor Farm survives well. Despite the infilling of all but the south west corner of the moat, the island remains largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the earlier periods of occupation. The infilling of the ditches will add further protection to their buried fills. These will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set.
The monument lies in an area where moated sites are fairly numerous, with further examples situated at Brays Wood, Chartridge, to the north west, and at Ashley Green, to the north east. Comparisons between these sites will provide valuable insights into the development of settlement and society in the medieval period.
The monument, which includes a medieval moated site, is located immediately
north west of Little Pednor Farm on ground which slopes to the north.
The moated site includes a roughly square-shaped island measuring up to 54m north-south by a maximum of 70m east west, the surface of which is approximately 0.3m higher than the surrounding ground level. The island is contained by a moat, which although infilled on all but the south west corner, is still visible as a shallow earthwork, measuring approximately 0.3m deep. Where the moat remains open it measures up to 12m wide and at least 1.5m deep and is accompanied by an outer bank, about 5m wide and 0.4m in height, thought to be derived of upcast from the ditch. A slight inner bank survives alongside the southern arm of the moat.
The moated site is thought to relate to the estate in the parish of Chesham acquired by Missenden Abbey in the 12th and 13th centuries and which, after the Dissolution was granted as lands called Pednor and Sextens Croft to John Lord Russell. In 1563 Richard Wedon purchased the freehold of Pednor Farm which was at that time known as Pednor Grange. The moated site is thought to represent the forerunner to Pednor House which is sited to the south and is not included in the scheduling.
The barn and all fencing are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Buckinghamshire, (1969), 213
(C.M.A.G), Dearnley, Mrs M and Gregory, Mrs V, Little Pednor Farm, (1982)
Royal Commission for Historical Monuments of Bucks., (1913)
Title: 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map - Chesham Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: D/BMT/54 R
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing