Moated site known as Tadgells, 100m south west of The Cottage
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017003.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2021 at 05:33:57.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Epping Forest (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 50912 10770
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite some infilling of the northern arm and part of the eastern arm of the moat the moated site known as Tadgells survives well. The island remains largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the earlier periods of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the ditches will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument is set. In particular, the buried northern arm of the moat, infilled prior to 1896, may retain sealed deposits from still earlier periods.
Tadgells moat lies in an area where moated sites are fairly numerous, with further moated sites situated in the parish of Matching, in Matching Park, 600m to the ENE, at Matching Hall, 2km to the north east, and at Stocks Hall on Matching Green, 3.3km to the ENE. Comparative studies between these sites and with further examples from other regions will provide significant insights into the developments of settlement and many other aspects of medieval society in England.
The monument includes a medieval moated site known as Tadgells which is
located on the eastern edge of the hamlet of Housham Tye and to the east of
Carter's Green. The name `Tadgells' is first recorded as Taggles in 1327,
after the family of John Tagel.
The moated site includes a rectangular island measuring approximately 30m east to west by at least 36m north to south. The island is contained by a water-filled moat or ditch on the east, south and west sides. This measures up to 10m wide and a maximum of 2m deep. The northern arm of the moat, which now survives as a buried feature, was infilled at some time prior to 1896, when the 2nd edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map was drawn up. A 6m section at the northern end of the eastern arm appears to have been infilled after 1896 when it was depicted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map as open and water-filled. The remaining open section of the eastern moat ditch has also since been partly infilled and now can be seen to narrow towards the northern end.
There is some indication of a building platform marking the site of an earlier house towards the southern side of the island, perhaps a forerunner to the present Grade II Listed Building, which dates from the 15th century with 16th and 17th additions immediately to the north of the moated site. A post- medieval bakehouse/dairy stands partly on the northern side of the island and is connected to the house via a modern brick built passageway.
A rectangular water feature, immediately to the west of the moat which surrounds the adjacent plot of land and is linked to the southern end of the western arm of the moat, is thought to represent an enclosure defined by drains, of which there are many encompassing gardens and land plots in the immediate area.
The former bakehouse/dairy together with the glasshouse, fencing, gates and all other modern pathways and surfaces are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935), 46
Title: Ordnance Survey 2nd Edition 25" Map Source Date: 1896 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Essex Record Office: 41/12
Title: Ordnance Survey Card now SMR Source Date: 1975 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: TL51SW25
Title: Tithe Map of Matching Source Date: 1843 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Essex Record Office:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing