This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

King's Hall moated site, 480m east of Broadwater House Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: King's Hall moated site, 480m east of Broadwater House Farm

List entry Number: 1017217

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Moulton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 10-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jan-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at King's Hall survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. Waterlogging in the moat will preserve organic remains, such as timber, leather and seeds, which will give an insight into domestic and economic activity on the site. In addition the artificially raised ground preserves evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat. Associated with a well known family and occupied over a long period of time it contributes to our understanding of the development of a relatively high status component of the medieval landscape. As a result of detailed documentary research and archaeological survey, the history of the site is quite well understood.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site known as King's Hall, thought to have been the residence of the de Moulton family. In 1086 there were two land holdings at Moulton belonging to Ivo Taillebois and Guy de Craon. By the early 13th century much of the land at Moulton had passed to Thomas de Moulton as tenant of Guy de Craon. It is believed that the moated site was established during the late 12th century on land reclaimed from the fen. In 1216 reference is made to the `castle of Moulton' and subsequent references include one to repairs made in 1461. By the 1530s part of the building was still standing but after the 18th century was no longer visible above ground.

Situated on level ground the monument takes the form of a raised island enclosed by a moat. The island is `D'-shaped in plan, measuring approximately 85m by 80m, and stands up to 1.5m above the surrounding ground level. The surrounding moat is water-filled and measures up to 18m in width. The north western moat arm is crossed by two earthen causeways thought to represent original points of access to the island.

The island is thought to have been occupied by a fortified manor house which survives as a buried feature. During World War II medieval pottery ranging in date from the late 13th century to the early 14th century was revealed during the construction of a bunker on the northern part of the island.

All fence posts are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Healey, RH, Roffe, DR, Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire, (1990), 61-63

National Grid Reference: TF 31257 21303

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 12:26:07.

End of official listing