Monk's Conduit well house
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017297 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 07:35:48.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 92449 52979
Reasons for Designation
Well houses are medieval structures built to protect the water supply to institutions such as monasteries and abbeys. They are small, typically stone built structures placed over a spring or near several water sources. The water which collected in a stone or lead tank was transported to its destination by lead pipes or gutters. The surrounding structure protected the tank from contamination. The Monk's Conduit well house is a well preserved and complete survival which has served as the outlet of a spring for over 500 years. There is a strong likelihood that its construction was associated with the Priory of the Bonhommes.
The monument includes the Monk's Conduit, a 15th century well house situated
in a small valley on a springline in the centre of Edington, a village below
the chalk scarp of Salisbury Plain.
The building is rectangular and measures 3.5m long and 2.5m wide. It is set
into a steep bank so that only the west facing wall, which is 3.5m high with a
triangular gable above a doorway, is visible from outside. The vaulted roof is
stone tiled and supported by two stone ribs. Water rises from apertures in the
back wall and flows into a large stone tank 1m wide and 2.5m long. The water
then overflows the tank and drains through the doorway, forming a small
The Monk's Conduit is Listed Grade I and, as the name implies, may have been
associated with the Priory of the Bonhommes who were in Edington from 1358 to
1534. The priory church and the walled garden of the priory together with
associated fishponds survive 400m to the north east, and are the subject of a
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing