This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 590m north east of The Elms

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 590m north east of The Elms

List entry Number: 1017342

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broadheath

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kenswick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 18-Jul-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31958

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 590m north east of The Elms survives as a largely undisturbed and well preserved example of its class of monument. The undisturbed nature of the island will preserve evidence of former structures, including both domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated occupation levels. These remains will help illustrate the nature of use of the site and the lifestyle of its inhabitants. The moated site and pond will also preserve deposits relating to their construction and any subsequent alterations. The waterlogged condition of the moat and pond will preserve environmental information about the ecosystem and landscape in which it was set.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a moated site 590m north east of The Elms, Kenswick. Kenswick became a separate parish in 1857 having formerly been a chapelry of Knightwick. The moat is sub-rectangular in plan and is filled in its southern corner by a stream which flows through the moat and exits from its northern corner. The moat measures up to 10m wide by 2m to 3m deep. Access to the island is gained via two causeways, one located midway along the southern arm and a second in the northern corner. The moat is waterlogged throughout most of its circuit and is water-filled in its eastern corner. The island measures approximately 70m by 50m, and in its north east corner there is a pond which measures 30m by 10m. The pond is water-filled and approximately 2m to 3m deep. The moat island is undisturbed and appears to preserve some internal banks. The Broadheath Tithe map of 1747 shows an `L' shaped building and an outbuilding on the island defined by ponds to the west and east. These buildings are expected to survive as buried features. An orchard is shown to the west of the moat. All modern fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Moger, O, Wragge, A, The Victoria History of the County of Worcestershire, (1913), 438-441
Other
Title: Map (Partridge Farm), Parish File, Broadheath 00911-5403-4 Source Date: 1747 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Unpublished notes in SMR, 1997,
Woodiwiss, S., SMR Records, (1990)

National Grid Reference: SO 79670 57341

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 01:27:25.

End of official listing