This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bowl barrow 880m north east of Lower Upham Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bowl barrow 880m north east of Lower Upham Farm

List entry Number: 1017365

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Aldbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 18-Jan-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The bowl barrow 880m north east of Lower Upham Farm survives comparatively well and will retain archaeological information pertaining to its construction and use. In addition the old land surface sealed beneath the mound and the external quarry ditch are likely to contain environmental evidence relating to the prehistoric landscape in which the barrow was placed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a chalk ridge 880m north east of Lower Upham Farm with extensive views to the west across the valley of the River Og. The barrow is circular in plan and consists of a low spread mound up to 18.5m in diameter and 0.3m in height. A ditch, from which material was excavated for the monument's construction, surrounds the mound. This has become infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature approximately 2m wide.

Although not documented as such, local sources suggest that the barrow was one of several in the area investigated by Canon Greenwell in the late 19th century. This was supported by Passmore's excavation of the site in 1934 which revealed traces of a series of trenches cutting the centre of the barrow. Passmore recorded that the barrow contained a central grave pit 3m in length and 1m in width and fragments of a Middle Bronze Age collared urn and cremated bone. These and a piece of Beaker pottery subsequently recovered suggest that the barrow was reused for successive interments over a long period.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Goddard, E H , List of Prehistoric, Romand and Pagan Antiquities, (1913), p.157
Grinsell, LV, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume V, (1957), p.148
Passmore, A D, Barrow 19 Aldbourne (Goddard), (1942), p.239
Other
Ordnance Survey, SU 27 NW 44,
Wiltshire County Council, SU 27 NW 617,

National Grid Reference: SU 21438 78212

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 02:18:08.

End of official listing