This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows on Troston Heath, one known as Black Hill

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows on Troston Heath, one known as Black Hill

List entry Number: 1017791

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Troston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 21-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Feb-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31089

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Black Hill bowl barrow and the smaller barrow adjacent to it survive well. They will retain archaeological information concerning the construction and the manner of the use of the barrows and their stratigraphic and chronological relationship to one another. Evidence for the local environment in the prehistoric period, will also be preserved in the upstanding earthworks, in soils buried beneath the mounds and in the fills of the surrounding ditches. The ground between the barrows is likely to include other buried prehistoric features which will contain additional information. The proximity of the barrow to a number of other barrows in this part of the Breckland region give it additional interest. Together these barrows give some evidence of the character, development and density of the prehistoric population in this area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the large bowl barrow known as Black Hill, a second bowl barrow which lies 50m to the south west of it and the archaeologically sensitive ground between them. These stand in former heathland to the north east of Troston village. Black Hill is visible as a large earthen mound, which stands to a height of approximately 2.7m and covers a circular area about 33m in diameter. It has steep sides on all but the south east side which slopes at a more shallow angle. The mound is encircled by a ditch, from which the earth was dug during the construction of the barrow. This has become infilled but survives largely as a buried feature, and is marked on the north east side by a slight hollow about 4m wide. The barrow therefore has a maximum overall diameter of 41m. The second smaller bowl barrow is visible as a roughly circular mound, approximately 26m in diameter, standing on the north side to a maximum height of 1m and shelving slightly to the south. Slight hollows, 3m wide, in the ground surface immediately to the north of the mound mark the site of the ditch which encircles the mound, and will survive elsewhere as a buried feature. The barrow has a diameter of about 32m. The surface of the trackway to the south and the rubble dump to the west of the smaller barrow, together with the fencing and other structures of a pheasant pen between the two barrows are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Suffolk: Volume I, (1911), 628
Other
Field Observation, Fenton, P, (1997)
Site visit, Martin, E, (1986)

National Grid Reference: TL 88628 74222

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017791 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 07:56:11.

End of official listing