Two long barrows: Lamborough Banks and a long barrow 240m to the south east


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1018168

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1934

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1998


Ordnance survey map of Two long barrows: Lamborough Banks and a long barrow 240m to the south east
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 22:56:38.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Bibury

National Grid Reference: SP 10758 09416, SP 10912 09250


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and, consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 examples of long barrows and long cairns, their counterparts in the uplands, are recorded nationally. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be nationally important.

Lamborough Banks long barrow and the long barrow 240m to the south east of it are comparatively well preserved examples of their class and are known from part excavation to contain archaeological remains providing information about Neolithic beliefs, economy and environment.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument, which falls into two areas, includes two long barrows situated on level ground immediately below the crest of a hill. Lamborough Banks, to the north is the larger of the two barrows and lies close to a steep north west facing slope overlooking a dry valley. The barrow, which falls within the Cotswold-Severn tradition of tombs, is orientated NNW-SSE and has a mound 98m long, 2m high and 38m wide at its widest (SSE) end. The barrow lies within a plantation but extends out into the adjacent field to the south west where it is visible as a pronounced rise. The barrow was partially excavated in 1854 by Canon Samuel Lysons who uncovered dry-stone walls, faced on both sides, which formed `V' shaped horns to a blind entrance at the south end. These walls continued to the north, circumscribing the barrow and revetting the mound. A single inhumation was found within a stone lined chamber near the northern end of the mound. The monument is overgrown and has a very irregular appearance as a consequence of Lysons' excavations and there are no visible signs of the horned entrance, revetting walls or burial chamber. The long barrow 240m south east of Lamborough Banks is orientated WNW-ESE and has a low, irregular, mound 46m long by 14m wide and 0.5m high. On the southern slope of the mound, towards the west end, is a circular underground chamber constructed of dry-stone walling. This was partially excavated in 1865 by Samuel Lysons and again, in 1925, by A D Passmore. The chamber is in the shape of a beehive and has three stone seats, above which are three niches from where the wall is corbelled to an entrance at the top, 2m from the floor. No dating evidence was recovered and the chamber is backfilled, although the top few courses of stone are still visible. This is an unusual feature in a long barrow, although similar structures have been recorded elsewhere on the Cotswolds. Although no longer visible on the surface, quarry ditches will flank either side of both long barrow mounds and will survive as buried features 3m wide. The modern field boundary wall on the south west side of Lamborough Banks and the fencing on the north east side are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 31181

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Darvill, T C, 'Glevensis' in Perspectives And Problems In The Study Of Gloucestershire....., , Vol. 12, (1978), 20
Whittle, A W R, 'British Archaeological Report' in The Earlier Neolithic Of Southern England ..., , Vol. S35, (1977), 58

End of official listing