Moated site 250m north west of Elmbrook Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1018730

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1998

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moated site 250m north west of Elmbrook Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 00:54:09.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Great and Little Kimble

National Grid Reference: SP 81323 09298

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 250m north west of Elmbrook Farm survives well. The island is largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the period of occupation. Despite some disturbance to the ditch the buried silts in the base of it contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set.

The monument lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous, and is situated in close proximity to three such sites; one at Apsley Manor Farm, Ellesborough, 1.1km to the south east, one at Grove Farm, Ellesborough, 2.55km to the south east and the other at Terrick House, Ellesborough, 2.6km to the south east. Comparisons between these sites will provide valuable insights into the nature of settlement and society in the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site 250m north west of Elmbrook Farm.

The moated site is rectangular in plan. The island measures some 50m north east-south west by a maximum of 84m north west-south east, and is raised by about 1m above the surrounding ground level. The island is contained by a water-filled ditch, or moat, which measures up to 10m wide and at least 2m in depth. Access to the island is via a causeway across the eastern corner of the moat. An outer bank, about 2m in width and thought to be upcast from the ditch, is visible along the north east and north west arms.

Pottery sherds, dating from the late Saxon and medieval periods, have been discovered on the island.

The fences to the south east and south west of the moat ditch and the pheasant coop on the island are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32118

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Allcroft, A H, Earthworks of England, (1908), 468
Other
Field visit, Mrs. M. Hall and Farley, Mike , (1976)

End of official listing