This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Cregou or Cregon bowl barrow and enclosure 900m south east of Park Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: The Cregou or Cregon bowl barrow and enclosure 900m south east of Park Farm

List entry Number: 1019062

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Clement

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Jan-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The Cregou or Cregon bowl barrow 900m south east of Park Farm survives reasonably well. Although the mound has been dug into and its form modified by relatively recent activity, it remains substantially intact, as will parts of the underlying old land surface and any surviving original deposits associated with the mound and old land surface. Its location on a false crest of a hill illustrates well the important role of topography in Bronze Age funerary activity. Its association with a later enclosure of medieval type demonstrates the longevity of barrows as important elements in the landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a prehistoric bowl barrow known as the Cregou or Cregon and an adjacent medieval enclosure, situated on a false crest on the south west shoulder of a hill above the Tresillian River, near Malpas. The barrow has a large ovoid earth and stone mound, 37m across north west- south east by 22m north east-south west and up to 1.5m high, with a fairly level top. An oval hollow in the mound north west of centre is considered to represent an antiquarian excavation, which was extended north west in the 20th century so that it now opens from field level on that side, probably to facilitate stone robbing or to adapt the hollow as a watering place for stock. The hollow is 13m across north west-south east by 10m across north east-south west and has a fairly smooth base, sloping to around 0.8m below field level and 1.6m below the top of the mound. A rounded protrusion 15m across on the north west of the mound, forming the west side of the hollow, is considered to incorporate redeposited material derived from the barrow, probably during the modern expansion of the hollow. Hedgebanks 2m-4m wide run along the north east and south east sides of the mound. That on the north east is considered to have truncated the mound, leaving a spread of small stones in the field beyond, and forms the south west side of the adjacent enclosure. A scarp 0.4m high running from the south side of the mound to the hedgebank to the south east is the remains of a modern boundary which formerly enclosed the mound. The enclosure, which lies to the north east of the barrow, is considered to originate from the use of the mound in the medieval period, perhaps as a lookout for the Malpas ferry to the SSW or other functions associated with the neighbouring manorial centre and castle of Moresk. It has a roughly circular, gently sloping platform measuring approximately 16m across internally, defined by a curving stony levelling scarp some 5m across and 0.4m high on the north and north east sides, and by a spread of small stones 5m across on the south west side where the enclosure runs up to the boundary bank at the edge of the barrow.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Essays in Cornish History, (1935), 115
Padel, O J, Cornish placename elements, (1985), 73, 50
Worcester, W , Itinerary, (1487)
Henderson, C, 'Parochial Antiquities' in Parochial Antiquities, , Vol. 3, (1917), 222
Mc'Lauchlan, H, 'Annual Report of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in Notes on the Manors of Tewington, Moresk, and Tywarnhaile, (1848), 20-24
Mc'Lauchlan, H, 'Annual Report of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in Notes on the Manors of Tewington, Moresk, and Tywarnhaile, (1848), 21-22
Preston-Jones, A, Rose, P, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Medieval Cornwall, , Vol. 25, (1986), 172
Other
Preston-Jones, A, AM107, (1987)
SW 84 SW 4, JMR, Ordnance Survey Index Card, (1980)
Title: Estate Map at RIC library, Truro Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: HJ/8/35
Title: Estate map at RIC library, Truro Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: MMP/27
Title: Estate Map in RIC library, Truro Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: MMP/27
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1880 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1908 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: St Clement Tithe Apportionment Map Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: 1643
Title: St Clement Tithe Apportionment Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: 1637

National Grid Reference: SW 84889 43332

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 06:05:14.

End of official listing