This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Round barrow and round, 200m south west of Carrine

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Round barrow and round, 200m south west of Carrine

List entry Number: 1019502

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Kea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Oct-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jan-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32928

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch, with one entrance breaking the circuit. Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies, pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs. Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west England. Consequently, sites with significant surviving remains will normally be considered to be of national importance.

The round barrow and round 200m south west of Carrine survive well. The round remains substantially intact, despite limited relatively recent modification of the surrounding bank. The old land surface underlying the bank, and remains of buildings, structures, and other deposits associated with the bank and external ditch, and with the interior, will survive. The barrow's mound and outer platform also remain substantially intact, as will the underlying old land surface and any surviving original deposits associated with the mound and old land surface. The proximity of the two monuments which the respect of the round's builders for the barrow suggested by the lack of evidence for robbing its mound, and a possible association with early medieval legends, provides important information about social organisation during the later prehistoric and post-Roman periods respectively.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The scheduling includes a prehistoric round barrow and a later prehistoric to Romano-British round, situated on a slight south east slope on the shoulder of a ridge north east of the Carnon River valley. The barrow to the east of the round has a platform around its base, considered to be an associated earthwork. This is sub-rectangular in plan, measuring approximately 22.8m NNW-SSE by 17m ENE-WSW, and is defined on the west and south sides by a scarp 0.6m-0.9m high. The barrow mound of earth and stone situated towards the south west of the platform is sub-rectangular, measuring approximately 17m NNW-SSE by 14m ENE-WSW. It has a nearly flat top 1.8m high, with a further round mound approximately 7m in diameter and 1.2m high rising from it on the SSE. The form of the whole is very regular and is considered to be original, not resulting from robbing. The barrow is closely associated with others beyond this scheduling, together forming a ridge-top barrow cemetery. The round to the west is sub-circular in plan, measuring approximately 83m east-west and 87m north-south externally. On the north, east and south sides, it has stone faced boundary banks 2.5m-4m wide and 1.7m-2m high, considered to incorporate remains of an original single enclosing bank with evidence for an external ditch, visible to the south as a linear depression 3.5m wide and 0.5m deep. To the west the enclosing bank is irregular and discontinuous as a result of partial removal and spreading. It is 2m-8.5m wide and 0.2m-0.8m high. Part of the external ditch is visible towards the south of this as an irregular hollow some 11.5m long, 2.5m wide, and 0.1m-0.4m deep. The western bank has a gap on the north side and another on the south, 4m and 5.5m wide respectively, considered to be possible original entrances. The interior of the round is fairly level, dipping slightly towards the enclosing banks. A linear depression recorded to the south of the boundary bank attached to the south east corner of the round is considered to be a short extension of the external ditch on the south side of the round. The round has been associated with early medieval legends, though these claims are unsubstantiated. All modern farm machinery, gateposts and fittings, and telegraph poles, are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Padel, O J, Cornish placename elements, (1985), 53, 138
Henderson, C, 'Parochial Antiquities' in Parochial Antiquities, , Vol. 5, (1917), 130
McLauchlan, H, 'Annual Report of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in Observations in some ancient camps and tumuli, (1848), 30-41
McLauchlan, H, 'Annual Report of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in Observations in some ancient camps and tumuli, (1848)
Other
Letter 42, Thomas, R, Letter to the West Briton, (1842)
Padel, OJ to Preston-Jones, A, (1985)
Preston-Jones, A and Rose, P, Survey of the round and barrow at Goodern, 1985, Typescript at CAU
Preston-Jones, A, AM 107, (1990)
Title: Kea Tithe Apportionment Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1880 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1907 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SW 78977 43069

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019502 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 01:13:17.

End of official listing