This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 480m north east of Wyberton West Hospital

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 480m north east of Wyberton West Hospital

List entry Number: 1019528

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 23-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33137

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 480m north east of Wyberton West Hospital survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. Waterlogging in the moat arms will preserve organic remains (such as timber, leather and seeds) which will give an insight into domestic and economic activity on the site. The artificially raised ground will preserve evidence of land-use prior to the construction of the moat. In addition, the moated site will contribute to our understanding of the functioning of a relatively high-status component of the medieval landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a medieval moated site located 480m north east of Wyberton West Hospital and adjacent to Wyberton West Road. It was formerly in Skirbeck Quarter parish before becoming part of Boston. Following the Conquest part of the land in Skirbeck, located on the west bank of the river Witham and later known as Skirbeck Quarter, was held by Eudo, lord of Tattershall.

The moated island is subrectangular in plan and is enclosed by a broad moat. The island, measuring 70m by 50m, is raised up to 1m above the surrounding ground level and would have accommodated buildings such as the manor house and ancillary domestic buildings. The eastern third of the island is slightly raised above the rest of the island and distinguished from it by a linear scarp, which is thought to indicate a subdivision separating the house on the east from a yard or paddock on the western part of the island. The moat, still water-filled in places, measures up to 12m in width and 1m deep with low internal banks lining part of the northern and southern moat arms. The western end of the northern moat arm has been infilled and, visible as a shallow depression, will survive as a buried feature. The infilled part of the northern arm is thought to indicate the location of an original access point to the island. A partly infilled section of the southern moat arm is believed to indicate the location of a second, opposing entrance to the island.

All fence posts are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Field, N, White, A eds, A Prospect of Lincolnshire, (1984), 42-45
Thompson, P, The History and Antiquities of Boston, (1856), 16-17

National Grid Reference: TF 32101 42874

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 11:22:22.

End of official listing