Pool Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019833.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 11:29:27.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 76781 83746
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Pool Hall moated site is a well-preserved example of this type of monument. In addition to the late 16th or early 17th century house, the moated island retains upstanding and buried evidence of medieval structures that once stood on the site. These structures, together with the associated artefacts and organic remains, will provide valuable evidence about the occupation and social status of the inhabitants of the site. Organic remains surviving in the moat, will also provide information about the changes to the local environment and the use of the land after the moated site was constructed. The importance of the site is enhanced by the post-medieval documentary sources, which provide details of ownership. The associated fishponds, which were used for the breeding and storing of fish in order to provide a sustainable supply of food, provide further evidence about the economy and life style of the inhabitants of the moated site during the medieval period.
The monument includes the earthwork, upstanding structural and buried remains
of a medieval moated site. It is considered to be the centre of the manor of
Alveley, which in 1562 was split between Humphrey Grove, Thomas Throckmorton
and Margaret his wife. In 1583, on the death of his father, half of the manor,
passed to John Grove, a freeman of the Right Worshipful Company of Grocers of
London, who died in 1616. A documentary source indicates that John Grove may
have obtained sole ownership of the manor house in 1594. It is likely that,
soon after this acquisition, John Grove constructed Pool Hall, a large three
storeyed brick-built house, which sits in the centre of the moated island. The
front of the house was refaced in the early 18th century. The house and the
18th century walled forecourt are Listed Buildings Grade II*.
The moated site was constructed on a north west facing slope in an area of
undulating land. The waterfilled moat defines a D-shaped island approximately
55m north to south by 80m east to west (maximum dimensions). With the
exception of the western moat arm, the arms of the moat are between 12m and
18m wide. The western arm has been enlarged to form a rectangular pool about
26m wide by 60m long (maximum dimensions). The western half of the southern
arm was infilled during the early 18th century in order to construct the
walled forecourt. This part of the moat will, however, survive as a buried
The eastern boundary wall of the forecourt was built over an earlier entrance
causeway constructed of sandstone blocks, which is believed to be of medieval
date. The moated island has been revetted with stone, which along the southern
side forms the base of a stone-built curtain wall, partly heightened with
brick in the 18th century. All these structural features, with the exception
of the 18th century forecourt walls, are included in the scheduling. A modern
earthen causeway now separates the southern and eastern moat arms.
To the north and south of the moat, and connected to it, were a series of
medieval fishponds. These ponds have been redefined and others constructed to
form a modern fishery. The ponds are not included in the scheduling.
A number of features are excluded from the scheduling, these are; Pool Hall
and the adjacent courtyard walls, the outbuildings, sheds and the greenhouse,
modern boundary and garden walls, fence and gate posts, paths, the yard and
driveway surfaces, all modern ornamental garden features, the cast iron water
pump, and the concrete slab fishing stances; the ground beneath all these
features is, however, included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Memorial brass for John Grove, (1616)
Victoria County History, Notes of documentary refs compiled for forthcoming VCH volume, Notes with Victoria County History, Shropshire Record Office
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing