Bowl barrow in Calcots Wood, 550m east of Tollard Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020064 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 18:12:20.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Dorset (District Authority)
- Sixpenny Handley
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 95604 17384
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Cranborne Chase is an area of chalkland well known for its high number, density and diversity of archaeological remains. These include a rare combination of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age sites, comprising one of the largest concentrations of burial monuments in England, the largest known cursus (a linear ritual monument) and a significant number and range of henge monuments (Late Neolithic ceremonial centres). Other important remains include a variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries which date throughout prehistory and into the Romano-British and medieval periods. The survival of archaeological remains is due largely to the later history of the Chase. From at least Norman times, Cranborne Chase formed a Royal Hunting Ground and much of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from associated laws which applied until 1830. The unique archaeological character of the Chase has attracted much interest and research over the years. During the later 19th century, important contributions were made by General Pitt-Rivers, Sir Richard Colt Hoare and Edward Cunnington, often regarded as the fathers of British archaeology, whose research resulted in significant advances in excavation techniques, recording methods and archaeological interpretation. Archaeological investigations have continued throughout the 20th century and to the present day. The bowl barrow in Calcots Wood, 550m east of Tollard Farm survives comparatively well and is known from partial excavation by General Pitt-Rivers to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a low ridge in Calcots Wood,
within the area of Cranborne Chase.
The barrow has a mound composed of earth, flint and chalk with maximum
dimensions of 12m in diameter and about 1.2m in height. This is surrounded by
a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the
monument. The ditch is visible as an earthwork which is up to 2m wide and 1m
The barrow was excavated by General Pitt-Rivers in 1884, when flint tools,
charcoal and Romano-British pottery were recovered. The excavation trench is
still visible across the barrow mound.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Historical Monuments in the County of Dorset: Volume I, (1970), 72
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing