The Golden Stone boundary marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1020192

Date first listed: 20-Jul-2001

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Golden Stone boundary marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020192 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 17:39:07.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nether Alderley

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Over Alderley

National Grid Reference: SJ 86222 77617

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The Golden Stone boundary marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm is one of an important late medieval series of boundary markers on the lands known as Alderley Edge. Although many of these have been lost, this example has been preserved in its original location. It also has much folklore attached to it locally and is therefore of great importance to the community. It is on land open to the public and so forms an element in the resources for education and recreation created by The National Trust.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a large rectangular boulder situated in an earthen field bank on the north side of the road to Edge House Farm. The stone was used as a boundary marker for the late medieval estates of the Stanley and De Trafford families which occupied Alderley Edge and this is one of the `merestones' which is noted in the Perambulation of May 1598. It is also indicated on the 1775 Enclosure Map. In addition it lies on the boundary between Over Alderley and Nether Alderley parishes. The stone is formed of Engine Vein conglomerate and was quarried very close to its present location. It has been deliberately split apart at some time in the past. It measures 2.60m by 1.90m and stands 0.90m high. There is evidence that an attempt has been made to destroy it by blasting in the past, as there is a shothole in the northern side and pick marks on the cracked surfaces. The post and wire fencing adjacent to the monument is not included in the scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33860

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
Manchester Museum and National Trust Survey, (1998)

End of official listing