Bowl barrow 490m north west of Pen Hill Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1020206

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1929

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Apr-2002

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bowl barrow 490m north west of Pen Hill Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020206 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 08:02:28.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: St. Cuthbert Out

National Grid Reference: ST 55349 48418

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite some disturbance to the mound of the bowl barrow 490m north west of Pen Hill Farm caused by its partial excavation in antiquity, it survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.





History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow of prehistoric date located below the crest of a south facing slope towards the western end of Pen Hill, which is situated on the eastern edge of the Mendip Hills. The barrow mound is approximately 0.65m high and 14m in diameter and, in common with other barrows in the area, is surrounded by a ditch from which material was quarried during its construction. Although the ditch has become infilled by agriculture over the centuries, and is no longer visible at ground level it survives as a buried feature approximately 1.5m wide. It has been noted from a previous survey that the mound had a hollow at its centre and, although this is not now distinct, it is likely to indicate partial excavation in antiquity.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34863

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Grinsell, L, 'Proceedings of Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society' in Somerset Barrows, , Vol. 115, (1971), 116
Tratman, E K, 'Proc Univ Bristol Spel Soc' in Fieldwork, , Vol. 5(1), (1938), 82

End of official listing