This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Four round barrows 480m north of Besowsa

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Four round barrows 480m north of Besowsa

List entry Number: 1020750

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ladock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Jul-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32961

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round barrows are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus of burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving examples recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of Britain, including the Wessex area where it is often possible to classify them more closely, for example as bowl or bell barrows. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite limited disturbance, the four round barrows 480m north of Besowsa survive well. The mounds remain substantially intact, and the old land surfaces beneath the mounds and any deposits associated with them will also survive. They provide a good example of the linear arrangement of barrows, and illustrate the important role of topography in Bronze Age funerary activity.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This monument includes four later prehistoric round barrows, situated on a moderate slope above a south west spur from a prominent north-south aligned ridge, east of Summercourt. They are associated with other barrows beyond this scheduling, forming an outlying group in a wider ridg e-top prehistoric barrow cemetery. All four barrows have mounds of earth and stone, with no known surrounding ditches. They are closely grouped, and fairly evenly spaced, forming an alignment running roughly south west-north east, with the pair at the north east end being aligned closer to WSW-ENE The mound of the barrow at the south west end of the group has a diameter of 10m and a low but regular curving profile, up to 0.2m high. The barrow mound to its north east measures 12.7m in diameter. Again, it has a gently rounded profile, its height being approximately 0.5m. The mound of the third barrow, to the north east of the other two, is slightly oval in plan, its dimensions being 14.7m north east-south west and 12.4m north west-south east. It is flat-topped, and has some disturbed hollows in its top and west side, but is up to 0.5m high. An old map shows that the barrow mound at the north west end of the group was also oval. It is now partially spread up to the boundary bank on its north west side, its visible plan being roughly D-shaped, measuring 16.6m across north east-south west and 13.5m north west-south east. It has a fairly regular curving profile, and is up to 0.7m high. The modern fencing, gate and gate fittings, and agricultural equipment, are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Milln, J, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parochial Check-List of Antiquities, Parish of Ladock, (1975), 108
Milln, J, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parochial Check-List of Antiquities, Parish of Ladock, (1975), 108
Other
MS at RIC library, Truro, Henderson, C, History of the Parish of Ladock, (1920)
Title: Ladock Tithe Apportionment Source Date: 1839 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: 1056
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1880 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1908 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SW 91062 54646

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 02:39:01.

End of official listing