This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Round 390m south west of Trethurffe

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Round 390m south west of Trethurffe

List entry Number: 1020797

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ladock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Sep-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32965

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch, with one entrance breaking the circuit. Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies, pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs. Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west England. Consequently, sites with significant surviving remains will normally be considered to be of national importance.

Despite modification of its enclosing bank and filling of its external ditch, caused by ploughing in the past, the round 390m south west of Trethurffe survives fairly well. The underlying old land surface, and remains of any structures or other deposits associated with this and with the upstanding earthworks and ditch, will also survive.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This scheduling includes a later prehistoric to Romano-British round, situated on a slight north west slope above the Tresillian River, with a fairly steep tributary valley on its north side, south of Ladock. The round is sub-oval in plan, measuring approximately 60m east-west by 50m north-south overall. It has a rampart of earth and stone, spread by ploughing, forming a rounded bank up to 14m wide and 0.5m high. By analogy with similar sites elsewhere, the round has an external ditch, now buried. Data from other rounds indicates that the enclosing bank and ditch were each around 4m wide before modification, so that the buried ditch is considered to lie beneath the outer bank material. The interior of the round is slightly raised.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Milln, J, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parochial Check-List of Antiquities, Parish of Ladock, , Vol. 14, (1975), 108
Other
Dyer, CA, Cornwall SMR, (1999)
MS at RIC library, Truro, Henderson, C, History of the Parish of Ladock, (1920)
Title: Ladock Tithe Apportionment Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: 628
Title: Ordnance Survey 1" drawing Source Date: 1811 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SW 89598 50581

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020797 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 05:44:59.

End of official listing