This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1022325

Location

MANOR FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Kington St. Michael

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 315918

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGTON ST MICHAEL EASTON PIERCY ST 87 NE

7/105 Manor Farmhouse (formerly listed as Easton 20.12.60 Piercy Farmhouse)

GV II

Farmhouse, dated 1631, roughcast rubble stone with ashlar dressings, coped gables and ashlar stacks, three diagonal shafts on main ridge and two similar on rear chimney gable. Two storeys and attic, formal three-gabled south front with ovolo-moulded mullion windows, 2-light with hoodmould to attic, 3-light with dripcourse to first floor and 4-light with dripcourse to ground floor, each side of late C19 or early C20 gabled porch. Old photographs show 3-light window in centre. Moulded plinth. West end gable has similar window each floor. East end gable has similar attic 2- light and c1900 added outbuilding to east. Old photographs show similar fenestration to west gable and a second gable to right with fenestration as for a staircase. Rear has chimney gable to right with date plaque ILAL 1631 and gable to left, then c1900 two-storey parallel rear range. Estate belonged to the Lyte family in C16, sold to J. Langton 1618. Kilvert describes the house as ruinous in 1871, the 'great hall and the grand staircase both gone'. It was repaired for the Neeld estate c1900. The panelling in the Manor House, Castle Combe is said to have come from here, dated TL 1669 for Thomas Langton. (Wilts Arch Mag, 4 1857 36 ff; J. Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960 51-3; W. Plomer ed Kilvert's Diaries, 1969 2 20)

Listing NGR: ST8865077757

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960), 51-3
Plomer, W, Kilverts Diaries, (1969), 2, 20
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 4, (1857), 36

National Grid Reference: ST 88650 77757

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 02:07:33.

End of official listing