LUCKINGTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1022373
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
LUCKINGTON COURT, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LUCKINGTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 05:39:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
LUCKINGTON COURT, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Luckington
National Grid Reference:
ST 83680 84069

Details

LUCKINGTON CHURCH ROAD ST 88 SW (North side)

2/213 Luckington Court (formerly listed as Luckington Court Farmhouse) 12.12.51

GV II*

House, c1700, for H. Fitzherbert, on C16 or earlier core, restored 1921 by Easton & Robertson for E. Johnson-Ferguson. Colourwashed roughcast on rubble stone with stone slate roofs and ashlar stacks. Two storeys. Principal range is L-plan with facade to east and south, c1700, the south probably refacing earlier work, which is more apparent in the north west service range. Five window east front with hipped roof, moulded coping to parapet and corner urns. Eighteen-pane thick-glazing-bar sashes in ovolo-moulded stone surrounds. Two lead downpipes. 1921 central door, Grinling Gibbons style carved wood surround and fielded panelled double doors set in ashlar semi-circular Roman Doric porch with two columns and pilaster responds. Doors and surround are said to be re-used. Similar 4-window south front with 4-shaft ridge stack and 2-shaft west end stack, the window bays not evenly spaced. Slightly set-back 1921 west end matching additional bay with projecting ground floor 3-bay loggia. North end of east front has similar 18-pane upper window and ground floor c1921 lean-to. To right, part of original range is visible with ridge stack and west end stack, north gable over 2-light mullion-and-transom ovolo- moulded mullion window each floor. To right, 1921 service wing running north. Interior: bolection-moulded hall fireplace. Two panelled c1700 rooms on south side with bolection-moulded fireplaces, the fireplace in south east room apparently an earlier, possibly early C16, opening. Enclosed stair with panelled dado and turned balusters to landing. Mullion and transom stair-light of original house is now internal and upper part of spiral staircase remains. Said to be on the site of a manor owned by King Harold before 1066. Owned by the Fitzherbert family from C17 to early C19. (The Field, 24 November 1984).

Listing NGR: ST8368084069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316026
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Field' in 24 November, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11829/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Witherow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].