This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1022418

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bremhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 316138

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BREMHILL BREMHILL VILLAGE ST 97 SE (south side) 8/14 The Old Vicarage 20.12.60 GV II House, former vicarage, C15 core, C17, much altered after 1818 for Rev W.L. Bowles and further altered later in C19 or c1900. Roughcast with ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. Cruciform five-shaft ridge stack, probably C17, with some shafts missing. Rendered east stack, c1900 diagonally shafted stacks at west end and north west corner. Two storeys and attic. North elevation and plan in 1825 are given in Bowles' History of Bremhill and comparison shows that west end has been built out and substantial alterations made to the fenestration since. Ridge stack marks division between earliest section, to east, and C17 cross-gabled addition to west, extended westward c1900. Bowles added pierced parapets modelled on Stourton church, built out a 2-storey range on north front, dated 1820, and a central Gothic porch on the south, dated 1818. The south bay windows are marked on 1825 plan, but only single storey bay to right of centre looks c1820. South front now has rough symmetry about centre Tudor-arched porch with two coped gables, coved cornice and pierced parapets, dripcourse and raised plinth. Windows generally are paired sashes in ovolo- moulded mullioned frames, more probably post 1825. To right of centre is gable with C17 attic 2-light window, paired first floor sashes with hoodmould and ground floor c1820 large canted bay with full-height sashes each side, French window to front and pierced parapet. To right, two plain upper windows and ground floor former paired sash, glazing since altered. To left of centre, gable has renewed attic 2-light, and large 2-storey canted bay with sashes in ovolo-moulded frames. Section to left, added post 1825 had paired sash each floor, but lower pair are blocked with inserted cl900 timber oriel. Service range to east of main house. North front roofline shows division each side of ridge stack. Section to east has C17 attic mullion window in projecting gable and 1820 two- storey addition in front, broken forward in front of original gable. This section has octagonal ashlar angle turrets with open crown caps, pierced parapets, and angle pinnacles to centre section. Fenestration generally altered from 1825 illustration where ground floor has two-arched entry and right octagonal turret is not built, but Y-traceried timber window to ground floor left is as illustrated. Section to west is more completely altered since 1825, C17 original was cross-gabled with corner stack, now north gable remains with new mullion windows, and west gable has been extended to west with large north side stack. Interior not inspected but one bay of a C15 roof with fine crown post truss survives at east end. House may be associated with a medieval grange of Malmesbury Abbey, though Bremhill Manor (q.v.) has also been suggested as the site. The Rev W.L. Bowles, vicar of Bremhill 1804-45, poet, antiquarian and theorist of the picturesque was an important figure in the literary discussions on the nature of beauty and relative importance of the natural and the artificial. Charles Lamb, William Wordsworth and Thomas Moore were visitors to the vicarage, around which Bowles laid out a picturesque garden, now largely vanished, with winding paths, grottoes, Gothic seats and a hermit's cave. (W.L.. Bowles, A Parochial history of the parish of Bremhill, 1828; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 141; Information from D.A. Stirling, North Wiltshire District Council)

Listing NGR: ST9802972988

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bowles, Reverend W L , A Parochial History of the Parish of Bremhill, (1828)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 141

National Grid Reference: ST 98018 72981

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 04:28:47.

End of official listing