This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1022563



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466933

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL8563NW HOSPITAL ROAD 639-1/10/458 (North side) 09/06/86 Church of St Peter


District church, attached to the parish church of St Mary. 1858, by JH Hakewill. In polychromatic bands of flint with freestone dressings. Nave and chancel have a plinth in black knapped flint with alternating bands of black knapped and random flint above; the main walling is a mixture of random kidney flint and ragstone. Stone-faced angle buttresses at the east and west ends. C20 plaintiled roofs. High Victorian Early English style. PLAN: nave and chancel united as a single cell under one roof; vestry on the north side; a south-west tower, which also acts as a porch. EXTERIOR: single-, 2-, and 3-light windows with plate tracery, their pointed heads outlined with alternating blocks of stone and black knapped flint. The 3-light east window has in addition cusped plate tracery, and the wall below is banded alternately in black knapped flint and stone. The tower is topped by a small shingled broach spire: lancets to the south face; on each face of the top stage a 2-light window with plate tracery, the lights infilled with stone which is pierced by vertical rows of quatrefoils. Pointed south doorway and a similar west doorway beneath continuous rectangular hood-moulds and multiple moulding. INTERIOR: wide and plain and retains its original fittings. Plain benches. Stone font with Early English decoration. Stone pulpit with attached lectern and reading desk. Panelled stone reredos behind the altar. The nave roof has plain boarding; the chancel roof is boarded, panelled and coloured. Wooden chancel arch carried on angel brackets with colonnettes. Kempe style east window, 1909. Included as an example of High Victorian Evangelical single-cell church-planning in counter-distinction to the additive, sub-divided contemporary Tractarian church plan.

Listing NGR: TL8511263788

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85112 63788


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2018 at 12:11:32.

End of official listing