NUMBERS 37, 38 AND 39 AND ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022574

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1997

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 37, 38 AND 39 AND ATTACHED WALLS, 37, 38 AND 39, KINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 37, 38 AND 39 AND ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 12:43:16.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 37, 38 AND 39 AND ATTACHED WALLS, 37, 38 AND 39, KINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 84856 64136

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8464SE KING'S ROAD 639-1/6/462 (South side) Nos.37, 38 AND 39 and attached walls

GV II

A terrace of 3 houses, formerly part of the barracks of the West Suffolk Militia Regiment. 1857/8. By RM Phipson in partnership with G Morgan. In dark red brick with blue headers and lighter red brick dressings. Hipped slate roof with a wide eaves soffit. Elizabethan style, and in similar, but plainer, style to Nos 28 to 33 King's Road (qv). EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 15 window range, arranged 3:2:3:2:2:3, all single-light casements with horizontal glazing-bars in slightly pointed brick surrounds with stone sills. High internal sawtooth chimney-stacks each have a row of tall terracotta pots. Rear has 3 paired ground and first-floor windows to each house. INTERIOR: not inspected. Low red brick boundary walls along the frontage have stone copings and higher dividing pillars with conical stone caps. HISTORY: the 1853 Militia Act required each county to provide NCO accommodation and a secure store for arms. These houses may be the former. An unusual design, which forms part of a group with the adjoining Nos 28-33 (qv). (Harrods Directory of Suffolk 1864: Ipswich: 1864-: 158; Brown C, Haward B & Kindred B: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 158).





Listing NGR: TL8485664136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466944

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brown, , Kindred, , Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, (1991), 158
'Harrods Directory' in Suffolk, (1864), 158

End of official listing