This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1023045



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ashton Keynes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 317653

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/1 Church of the Holy Cross I

Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15 and 1876-7 by William Butterfield. Coursed limestone rubble. Stone slate roofs. Nave of later C12 with aisles and chancel. Aisles remodelled C14 with C15 alterations. C14 west tower. North and south porches of C15, gabled with hollow chamfered arches and hoodmould, and brattished plates and panelled wood vault with moulded ribs. C15 square headed south door. Aisles with 2-light quatrefoil headed windows, but east window on south side C15 or C16 restored C19. Chancel C12 north wall pierced with early C13 arches, now enclosed in early C13 chapel with trefoiled triple lancets and priest's door. East windows to chancel and chapel C19. Quatrefoil clerestorey windows to nave. Three-stage tower with 2-light bell openings and machicolated parapet. Five-light west window. Bench mark 290.3ft. Interior: Nave of 4 bays. North arcade in 2 sections, 2 arches to east probably late C12 on octagonal column and leaf capitals. Two western arches with round columns and responds and circular abaci, c1200. South arcade early C13, hollow chamfered arches on round columns and abaci. Roof C15, of 5½ bays with moulded and painted ties and trussed collar rafters. Chancel arch late C12 rebuilt wider 1876-7, two orders of chevrons on slender responds with shafts and water holding bases. Chancel of 2 bays with painted barrel vault and brick wall decoration, all 1876-7 by Butterfield. North chapel has 3 pilaster buttresses of original chancel and 2 piscinae with credence shelves. Fittings: Tub font, C12 with chevron and upturned palmette decoration, reset in C19. Oak pulpit also C19. Monuments: North Aisle: Over east wall, probably C14 reredos reset, central vesica with flanking gabled niches and brackets for figures, all in moulded recess. Relief figures in spandrels. Two wall tablets, early C19 white marble on slate. To SARAH MASKELYNE and family, 1837 by Franklin of Purton, and MAURICE MASKELYNE Bennett, died 1800, also by Franklin. At west end of aisle, dismembered fragments of a C17 monument with crest, arms, cherubs etc. South aisle: Tablet, 1778 of white marble, to CHARLOTTE NICHOLAS and husband, daughter of Sir Thomas Frankland, Admiral of the White, by Flaxman. Relief over recording deathbed scene. Tablet, 1911 of white marble, to JOHN BOWLEY recording bequests. Glass: Some C15 or C16 pieces in head of south aisle eastern window. Brass, in chancel, 1658 to 3 generations called HENRY HAWKINS. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; W.A.M. XXVII. p 29. (1893) by C.E. Ponting).

Listing NGR: SU0417294394

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 27, (1893), 29

National Grid Reference: SU 04170 94392


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2018 at 11:12:24.

End of official listing