STABLES TO SOUTH EAST OF ALKERTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023125

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: STABLES TO SOUTH EAST OF ALKERTON HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES TO SOUTH EAST OF ALKERTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:22:45.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLES TO SOUTH EAST OF ALKERTON HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cricklade

National Grid Reference: SU 10045 93473

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 19 SW CRICKLADE HIGH STREET (east side)

13/185 Stables to south-east of Alkerton House 25.8.76 II

A stable block of 1862, (see date stone on the west gable, by an unknown architect, currently (2005) being used as a garage and storage space. The two storey building has an L-shaped plan and is constructed of plain brick and stone with a pitched asbestos slate roof of 1972 (replacing an earlier stone roof) with a brick chimney stack.

The main front of the west wing has a wide opening supported by a reinforced steel joist (late 1960s or early 1970s) replacing former double doors, with a hay loft above. The south wing, which runs east-west, has two double doorways with opening above, flanked on the left by a round-headed archway (blocked up at its south end since the late C20). To the far left it is flanked by a single doorway and to its right by three single doorways

The east gable, constructed of local dressed and coarsed stone, has two openings at first floor level. The west gable has a date stone of 1862, and is constructed of brick laid in a Flemish bond. The rear of the building to the south is constructed of dressed coarsed stone. The north gable is of brick laid in a Flemish bond with dressed limestone quoins.

Interior: the stable room in the west wing has a geometrically laid cobbled stone floor, wainscotted panelling with a corner through and lime plastered walls. Narrow, open wood stairs lead to the hay lofts above the south and west wing. The rooms in the south wing contain stone or tile floors, fixed casement windows to the south, wainscotted panelling and saddle racks in some. The hay lofts above have wooden floors and mill-sawn King Post roofs.

The stable block was built for Alkerton House (qv) with which it forms and important group.

Listing NGR: SU1004593473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317835

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing