This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1023349



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Highworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Sep-1979

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5410 HIGHWORTH HIGH STEEET (south side) Nos 2A and 3 (formerly listed as No 3) SU 2092 SW 18/268 26.1.55


2. Dated 1652. Despite older and altered appearance this date is probably correct. Rubble with large quoins. Slate roof with weathered coping to left. Stone chimneys, one diagonal, with moulded caps and weathering. Two and a half storeys with parapet. Moulded plinth, and strings over ground and first floors. Three inconspicuous modern dormers. One+three bays, the 3 right hand bays symmetrical with outer angled bays of 6 light mullion and transom windows. Crenellated parapet to bays probably a later alteration. Central transomed first floor window over modern ledged door. Left hand bay altered with Tudor arched and moulded doorway with high stop chamfers - now with modern brick filler - and 4-light window first floor under lintel, thought possibly to replace an oriel. Small inserted window between left hand angled bay and left hand doorway. Two date panels in parapet. Central one moulded, the right hand one inscribed H.B. 1652. This house has recently been restored - left hand bay rebuilt, right hand bay transoms replaced. To rear: a 4 centred entrance in line from similar door to street. Three storey 'L' plan extension with mullion windows and relieving arches over drip labels. Interior: a number of mid C17 Tudor arch fireplaces. Stairs removed from position to north of central fireplace, also indications of a former stair turret in angle with extensions. Very wide through passage.

Listing NGR: SU2023492442

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 20247 92446


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023349 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 09:54:29.

End of official listing