Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023408.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:05:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Stanton Fitzwarren
National Grid Reference:
SU 17880 90119


1. 5410 STANTON FITZWARREN TRENCHARD ROAD Church of St Leonard SU 19 SE 5/433 26.1.55


2. Norman nave with C14 alterations, C19 west bay, C13 or C14 chancel (on site of Norman apse, found 1865) and C17 tower to north. Restorations 1865 and 1891. Rubble with stone tile roof. Three bay nave, west bay added 1891 (see also Gothick fireplace inside) and south porch (1898) with richly carved gable, angle buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. Two Norman doorways with hood mould of roll and saltire crosses over plain tympanum (south side restored and blocked, north side has C17 door set in contemporary surround). Large perpendicular window to right. Slightly lower 2 1/2 bay chancel with hipped dormer and 3 irregular windows to south and priest's door (all restored in C15 style). 2 stage embattled tower of 1631 attached to north of crossing with C19 pinnacles, door to north with drip and 2 light window over. Vestry forms gabled extension to north of chancel. Interior: high chancel arch with saltire crosses and carved valances on inner order. A number of C12 fragments on south wall. Font: very important (church graded I for this reason), about 1180, circular with 8 Virtues and Vices below trefoiled arches. A great deal of carved woodwork and gilt lettering partly by the rector Canon Masters circa 1910 and partly earlier, especially in chancel: screen, rood screen, lectern, pulpit, exquisite sanctuary screen. The organ front comes from a cottage nearby (in Latton), linenfold panels. German relief of the Adoration of the Magi dated 1587. In chancel a piscina on pillar with scallopped capital.

Listing NGR: SU1788090119


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09992/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].