This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1023470

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318692

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH LANE, SU 18 SW SWINDON West Swindon 3/32 Church of St. Mary, Lydiard Park 17.1.55 GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C15, C17. Limestone rubble with some ashlar. Stone slate roof and lead to aisles. Nave and north aisle, C13, 3 simple chamfered arches on piers, the west arch hollow chamfered. C15 chancel and tower, and south aisle with porch. Arcade of 3 arches South chancel chapel probably also C15, but much rebuilt as St. John family chapel in 1633. C19 vestry west of porch. 3-light Perpendicular windows with square heads and labels, 2-light to chancel. C18 east window and side openings. 3- stage tower with C18 pierced parapets and pinnacles, with later north stair. Bellstage windows perforated transennae. Angle buttresses. 3-light clerestory, north side of nave, 3 dormers to south. Sanctus bellcote. Internally, nave plastered, with wall paintings, some C13. North side; scenes from life of St. Thomas a Becket. On chancel arch; cross with 6 busts and texts below. South wall; fragmentary scenes. C17 pulpit. C19 box pews. Font, medieval, plain octagonal bowl. C17 arcaded chancel screen, crested with royal Stuart arms and supporters, probably 1633. Chancel: Communion rail, c1700, excellent ironwork with monograms, possibly Italian. Segmental plaster vault painted with sky and stars. North window, of 2 lights, reset C15 glass in head. East window, c1633, large figures and family arms. Side openings C19 glass. Reredos, C18, figures on canvas. North Aisle: C17 reset dado panelling. C19 box pews. Reset medieval glass in heads of all windows, in western, Queen of Heaven, in eastern, Archangels. South Aisle: Panelled and moulded ceiling. Medieval glass in all window heads, some prophets. Wall painting above arcade. C17 panelled pews. South Chapel: Divided from chancel by marbled columns and entablature, and wooden railings with iron gates. Panelled and marbled ceiling beams. Reset medieval glass in window heads. Tower: West window 1859 by Alexander Gibbs, hot. Monuments: Chancel: SIR JOHN ST. JOHN, 1615, painted triptych on chalkstone base with arms. Attributed to William Larkin. Family tree maintained to later date, and within, figures of Sir John and wife. Grisaille allegorical figures on removable panels added 1699. EDWARD ST. JOHN, 1645, life sized gilded figure standing, armoured, in tent, the drapes held open by attendants. Eagle crest. MILES, 1841, by Reeves of Bath. South chapel: SIR JOHN ST. JOHN, c1635, and 2 wives, alabaster effigies, with 8 kneeling children and 4 recumbant below. Arched canopy on 8 black marble columns, within railing. SIR GILES & LADY MOMPESSON, 1633, sitting figures in arched niches, bridged over south door. Crested and pedimented canopy on columns. Inscription. JOHN, VISCOUNT ST. JOHN, 1748, by Rysbrack, coloured marbles, richly carved arms, obelisk behind. 2 hatchments. Nave: JANE HARDYMAN, 1761, stone wall tablet. WALTER HARDYMAN, 1774, tablet. South aisle: NICHOLAS AND ELIZABETH SEYIHON (St. John) 1592. Earnest kneeling figures on table under arched canopy carried on Ionic columns, symbols on soffite, inscription on frieze. Arms. All within railings. Hon. JOHN ST. JOHN, 1793, Chaste tablet by Lancashire of Bath. North aisle: ANN PLEYDELL, 1723, pedimented marble wall tablet. HENRY PLEYDELL, 1684. Slate and marble arms. Brasses: Nave: WILLIAM AND HENRY KEMP, 1642 and 1648; YORKE OF BASSET DOWN 1650; SUSANNA YORKE, 1648; ANNA DANVERS of Bainton, 1663. All with arms on separate brass. South chapel: RICHARD CORHAM, 1670. Various stone and basalt ledger slabs.

Listing NGR: SU1039584773

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 10395 84772

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023470 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 11:21:33.

End of official listing