26 TO 34, CHIPPER LANE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023579

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-2008

Statutory Address: 26-34, CHIPPER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 26 TO 34, CHIPPER LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 11:35:53.

Location

Statutory Address: 26-34, CHIPPER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14436 30136

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

676/1/271

CHIPPER LANE (South side) 26-34 (Formerly listed as: CHIPPER LANE, 28-34) 12-OCT-72

GV II Row of houses. c.1788.

MATERIALS: Constructed of red brick on a raised stone plinth, moulded wooden eaves cornice and steeply pitched hipped roofs of plain clay tiles. PLAN: Three storey, double depth plan.

EXTERIOR: Three storey row of five houses with a single storey link between No. 32 and No. 34. Steeply pitched hipped roof with plain clay tiles and moulded wooded eaves cornice. The sash windows retain their glazing bars and flush architrave. The blind windows all have vitrified chequer brickwork. No. 26 is one bay wide with a six-panelled entrance door with moulded cornice hood. The rectangular fanlight above has been blocked. No. 28 is three bays wide with the remains of a late-C19 shop front to the ground floor. There is one blind window to the second floor. No. 30 is four bays wide with blind windows to the second bay. The door has been removed but the moulded cornice hood remains. To the fourth bay is a large carriage entrance which appears to cut through the window above. No. 32 is four bays wide with blind windows to the second bay. It has a six panelled entrance door with rectangular fanlight above with marginal glazing and a diamond centre, and moulded cornice hood above. The rainwater head is dated 1788. No. 34 is three bays wide with a C20 neo-Georgian shop front to ground floor. Between Nos. 32 and 34 is a single storey link block (No. 32a) constructed of red brick with stone coping to the parapet. Neo-Georgian shop front to east and single door to west within an arched opening (formerly this was a bull's eye window). No. 32a is of lesser importance.

INTERIOR: Not inspected.

SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire (1985) 449

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Nos. 26-34 is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * A good example of a Georgian terrace with a handsome, well-proportioned facade. * The relatively complete group which retains good architectural detailing including sash windows, six panelled doors and moulded wooden eaves cornice

Listing NGR: SU1443630133

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318950

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing