THE SOUTH CANONRY, NOW BISHOP'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023632

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: THE SOUTH CANONRY, NOW BISHOP'S HOUSE, 71, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SOUTH CANONRY, NOW BISHOP'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:45:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SOUTH CANONRY, NOW BISHOP'S HOUSE, 71, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14147 29170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 No 71 (The South Canonry, now Bishop's House) SU 1429 SW 5/4 28.2.52. II GV 2. Earlier canonical house on this site. The building was severely damaged in tile Civil War and successively rebuilt circa 1665, major alterations in 1778, early C19 and 1889. 2 storey. Red brick on stone plinth. Bracketed and moulded stone cornice, broken over slight central projection with pediment. Old tile roof swept out over eaves and with sloping ridge of pediment carried high up main sloped roof. 5 windows on lst floor, the central with bracketed stone cill and stone architrave surround. 4 taller windows on ground floor. All windows with triple keystones. 6-Panel central door with plain fanlight in arched stone opening with moulded surround with stone doorcase of pilasters, broken cornice and broken pediment. Narrow side windows flanking doorway with stone surrounds, probably later insertic The house has C19 additions on south west side, and west front redone 1889. Earlier features inside: room to right of entrance has moulded beams and a large boss with arms of Henry Seward circa 1640. To right of main front remains of C17/C18 service wing only part wall of old stone flint and brick with C19 lean-to brick additions on west side.

Former stables of No 71 see under Nos 71A and 71B

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.



Listing NGR: SU1414729168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319066

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing